Well, it's finally happened.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Well, it's finally happened.

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The price of Diesel at Montauk Marine Basin was $3.65.9 per gallon today. It has eclipsed the price of marine gas by a few pennies. What a load of crap! No road taxes, yet it costs 40.9¢ more than what I can buy diesel for at my local gas station, to say nothing about my under $3.00 #2 fuel oil for my house. Guess what that's going to do to the seafood industry, to say nothing of trucking. No inflation? You ain't seen nothing yet! Walter
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Walter
Although I am still running gasoline for now my plans are to purchase off road diesel from one of my farmer friends after my diesel repower.

Todays "Off Road Fuel" price is around 2.50 per gallon +/- a few pennies..............I will carry fuel to the boat in a tank in the back of my P/U Truck the same way I currently transport gasoline.

Northern tool as well as other places sell transport fuel tanks that are DOT approved and will fit nicely in the back of a P/U.

Harry Babb
hb
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

walter, iam $3.40 in freeport
Capt. Mike Holmes

Fuel

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Diesel at the marinas has been $2.69 here for some time, but it has gone up at many service stations to nearly - and sometimes above - $3.00, so it will likely go up on the water, also.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Carl

Post by Carl »

You might want to consider calling your local Fuel hauler, trucks are like the ones that deliver home heating fuel....some are. We have guys around here that will deliver fuel to your boat, just gotta take 100gallons or so as a minumum. They come down in truck, run the hose to the boat and give it a fill, hand you the bill, get paid, and they are off. No lugging containers and pricing is good. Well much better then on water...
randall

Post by randall »

local company does that here......but many private marinas dont allow it....i did it that way for years (before ethanol)
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Find a commercial dock that will let you pull in to meet the truck if the marina won't allow it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

What Sim said. I was told to do this by the Marina since they don't sell fuel.
Truck makes weekly trips here.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Walter is right about fuel. It will make seafood way more and already has. I will be raising prices soon because of fuel costs.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Quick........send me some whitefish salad......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
clay

Post by clay »

Walter:

Just thought I would let you know the impact to the commercial marine industry is very real, all of us will pay for the robber barons greed (I named a few of the small guys below but it is important to remember they only supply 56% of the Oil this nation consumes).

Date: October 16, 2007: Push Boat "EMMA D."11,400 gallons $28,032.60 delivered via Slathie Oil Company fuel barge "MILLER" mile marker 19.2 Southwest Pass Mississippi River.

Date: August 12, 2007: Push Boat "EMMA D." 9,600 gallons $20,352.00 delivered via Slathie Oil Company fuel barge "MILLER" mile marker 19.2 Southwest Pass Mississippi River.

$2.12 to 2.50 in 2 months time a .38 per gallon increase, it’s a good thing the EMMA D. and her twin 3406 Cat mains and twin JD 30KW gens is very fuel efficient burning a meager 30.2 gallons per hr underway. That’s only an $11.40 per hour increase in operating cost, times 24 hours per day is only $273.60 per day, times an average underway work year of 220 days is only $60,192 per year.

$60,192 per year times the estimated 3,430 push boats operating on the Mississippi River is only an increase in cost of $206,458,560.00.

Or one could look at it from a more positive side if you happen to own large amounts of stock in one of the following:

BP, Chevron Texaco,Shell,ConocoPhillips,Occidental,Aera Energy,ExxonMobil,
Kerr-McGee,Apache and Anadarko can expect increased profits in the amount of $206,485,560.00 from fuel supplies delivered to Mississippi River Push Boats in 2007/2008.

As for me, I made a good choice and sold all of my Oil Stocks so I could buy fuel for the EMMA D.

[img][img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p33/ ... hPaint.jpg[/img][/img]
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow Clay, that pretty much sums it up!!! I feel bad complaining about the cost of filling up my 175 gallon tank now!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well guys
If you want to get on the underhanded side of this issue I have found that beer is better than legal tender out in the Gulf. A case of beer can get you a tank of fuel if you can find the right guys..............

Harry
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry,

Don't know about fuel...but a case of Budlight got us a 50# bag of fresh caught Gulf Shrimp back in March...offshore out of Venice Marina Wahoo fishing. Always keep a case aboard for a deal to go.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Doug - a half gallon bottle of Takka vodka ($12 here) will get you two or three bushels in the winter at PE, but bring big guns for the trade and dispaly them.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,
It would be time to go after you make the deal & deliver the Vodka. Things could get ugly after that.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory of Vicroy

Used to go out in South Pass to the anchored Viet boats at night in the nasty winter weather and bang my 18 foot Coonass Cabin Cruiser (Alum. flat with a wood house on the back) against the stern of a big trawler a couple of times...always had my big 12" spotlite on the roof on, my Redhawk .44 mag on my hip, a pump shotgun in my hand. After a while one of the hands would come out, I'd shine the light on the vodka, then on the bushel basket. He'd go back into the trawler and another guy would come out...same routine, then I'd back off and bang into the back of the steel trawler again....do this a few times and the head grosbeak would come out, usually could speak some english, and we'd make the deal..always get the shrimps before you pass the vodka, and check the baskets for newspaper filler.....yeah, they did that some, even with the guns and lights.

Beer got you diesel, vodka got you shrimp.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

You DA Man!, Armed & Dangerous @ nightime?
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Harv

Post by Harv »

Back in the late 70's, my uncle and I would run the little boat to P-Town for a couple of weeks of Giant Bluefin. The first weekend there, a dragger was pulling a giant in on a hand line. We waited for him to boat the fish (around 685lbs), and then proceeded to inquire about bushells of ling and whiting. We offered them a bottle of Kahlua as a prize for their catch. We ended up with 2 free bushells of bait that day, and free room acomodations 2 days later, after my uncle got us kicked out of our motel. The boat also cashed checks for us while out at sea. What a wonderful world it was.
Harv
In Memory of Vicroy

Harv, give us the story how you and your uncle got kicked out of the motel....gotta be a better story than stealing bait..or is it?

Most of us have been kicked out of somewhere, or gone upside down in an airplane, or whatever, but we are B31 people, the Few, the Proud, the Bertam 31.

UV
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

And while you're at it, Harv, tell us why you need checks cashed in the ocean? Poker night? Drugs? Think UV and I are on to something. Hopefully at least one goooood story.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

UV....i got kicked out of my slip (next to brewster) at the montauk rendezvous so they could stick a bubble boat right in the middle of the 31's...you would have been mortified............course i did sneak in as usual...but c'mon
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

OK.. enough is enough!

Which one of you guys is responsible for this?

http://blogs.abcnews.com/rapidreport/20 ... r-hij.html

Please put me down for 250 gallons!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I remember when gas hit about 55 cents, everyone ran out and bought locking gas caps......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harv

Post by Harv »

Vicroy wrote:Harv, give us the story how you and your uncle got kicked out of the motel....gotta be a better story than stealing bait..or is it?

Most of us have been kicked out of somewhere, or gone upside down in an airplane, or whatever, but we are B31 people, the Few, the Proud, the Bertam 31.

UV

UV,

My uncle thought it would be funny to crazy glue about a dollar's worth of loose change to the top of the nightstand table. I guess room service got pissed when they couldn't pocket the "loose change".

And that's the whole story and I'm sticking to it.....no pun intended.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Mikey wrote:And while you're at it, Harv, tell us why you need checks cashed in the ocean? Poker night? Drugs? Think UV and I are on to something. Hopefully at least one goooood story.
Mikey,

the hours that we kept in pursuit of BFT made it hard to get to a bank, especially since the only means of transportaion was the boat. This enabled us to pay for dinners, fuel, dockage, and other assorted essentials like some quality bar time.

But here's a real good one for you.

On one of our return trips from P-Town, we blew the cooling system. Mind you this boat has a single I/O. We had about 5 gallons of fresh water on board but were going through it quickly. This had happened after we had pulled into Block for a night, by the way we snuck into and out of the Old Harbor before the Harbor Master could catch wind of our doing so, and occured between Montauk and Shinnecock. We found another bait dragger and pulled alongside asking if they could spare some fresh water. We were only able to run for 15 or 20 minutes before she started to overheat again. Well the dragger gave us 20 gallons of fresh water which allowed us to get back to Shinnecock without any further catastrophies. However, while we were swinging buckets of water back and forth between the dragger, a Coast Guard chopper decided to come overhead for a very close eyeball of the situtation. I could see the Coasties smiling and laughing, that's how close they got.
Harv
ed c.

Fuel Cost

Post by ed c. »

Down here in sunny S. Jersey it is at $2.69 a gal.
nic

Post by nic »

A$6.28 per US. gal or at the latest exchange rate $5.71.

You gotta love your fishing!

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Ouch!! 5.71 thats bad. I thought 3.47 was bad.
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

Over here in England, we're still allowed to use red diesel @ about $4.60 but that's gonna change soon cos of EU regs, so we'll have to use white diesel only and thats gonna be over $9.
I love our Government
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

$3.45 at the Marina for diesel in Melbourne, FL. They have a relatively captive audience here though, and seem tend to consider that in their fuel prices. It's usually about 10-20 cents cheaper at Port Canaveral or Stuart where there is more competition.

I've heard that across Europe the fuel prices in general were way high and make our complaints seem trivial. Didn't know it was that bad though. $9 a gallon would make me a rag-bagger again
randall

Post by randall »

9 bucks would once again have me hearing carens' advice "all i have to say for you and your boat is two words, dock party"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harv,
Not bad . . . I'm reminded of the days before my second marriage when I discovered that I had acquired mechanized dandruff*. The story gets long and hilarious and is good for at least one clear. After the honeymoon while talking with my father I told him the whole thing except (now you're racing ahead) how I contracted it. When asked I explained that I had gotten it from a toilet seat at my place of employment.
My father said, "You can do better than that."
I relied, "If I had a better story, don't you think I'd tell you?"
So, what's the real scoop and why WERE the Coasties really there?

*crabs
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Harv

Post by Harv »

Mikey, to use your own words...
Mikey wrote: "If I had a better story, don't you think I'd tell you?"
Harv
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harv,
I know you would.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I just paid $2.99/gal for my first 100gal of diesel.

Now whether I burn a drop of it before the year is out is another story...

Harv, at the rate that my re-power is going you'll be done before me and we'll be fishing on Doug's boat again this year...
Harv

Post by Harv »

Hell John,

You got diesel fuel in your boat.
I still didn't get my new tank yet.
Harv