Bottom fishing set up

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Bottom fishing set up

Post by Rickysa »

Other than drifting for flounder/spots etc., we have done zero bottom fishing, everything on the troll....

I'd like to try some bottom fishing...snapper/grouper. I've been given a bunch of good numbers to try, but don't know that I have the gear...

It would be in 50-75' of water...all my stuff is Tiagra 50's and up...do we really need electric reels?

Sorry for a stupid question, but I figured it wouldn't hurt (too much) to ask :)

Rick
Capt. Mike Holmes

Bottom stuff

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Ricky, I wouldn't go to electric reels unless fishing DEEP water. For snapper, grouper, and such, I use 30# gear in 50 - 100 feet of water, go to 50# line if obstructions or big AJ's might be around. In 50', for anything other than big fish, 20# gear will work, and be more fun. To stay with Shimanos, the smaller TLD series reels, like the TLD25, are good. I use a bunch of the Penn graphite levelwinds for customers, but the Senator series are still good choices. Deeper water, or bigger fish, might justify the 30 or 50 two speeds.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Mike,

Great info....thanks....I've got several TLD 25s we use for dink baits, so I'll give them a shot.

Rick