More (last?) on aluminum window frames

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

More (last?) on aluminum window frames

Post by John F. »

I got my trim off the front curved windows on my B31. I pretty much had to pry everything apart. I went pretty slowly, and the trim held its shape. However, the track on the inside of the trim where the T-bolts went is a wreck--corroded and not much left for new T-bolts to bite on.

The only alternative I can think of is to drill through the trim and through-bolt. Not that big a deal to me, but I do like the cleaner, original look. Any ideas?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Assuming that you're still going to paint or powder coat, I'd go ahead and drill for a through bolt.

If you want to stay flush on the outside, (this'll be a pain in the ass, but it will work), set the frame back into place and lined up the way it needs to be with no t-bolts. Tape it across in several palces to get the adjustment right & then tape over & along the frame with 2" tape. Lots of it, to really lock it in place.

Using the holes inside as a guide, and making sure that your drill bit is aimed right, drill each hole with a 5/32" drill bit. Once done, remove the frame & tap each hole for 1/4-20.

Using overly long 1/4-20 aluminum screws, run the screws in to the right depth. After all of the screws are placed, back fill around the screw, inside of the frame, with J-B weld or similar.

Once the epoxy hardens, you can cut the head off of the screw & sand the stub flush with the outside of the frame.

When you reinstall the frame with the new plexi, you'll still use the stainless steel acorn nuts inside, but put a dab of TefGel on each screw and under each nut to issolate the dissimilar metals.

Br,

Patrick
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John

Like Pat said "its a pain in the ass"..........but if you can find a local welding/machine shop you can clean and add weld material to the corroded area then using a Bridgeport mill just recut the Tee Slot.

I cannot imagine why but Bertram used bronze toilet base screws to fasten the aluminum frames to the boat............not a good idea.

I used 1/4" SS carriage bolts to fasten the aluminum ring back to the glass frames as well as to fasten the aluminum frames to the boat. You will have to belt sand 2 flats on the carriage bolt to make it fit the frames like the tee bolts.

Not exactly easy but another option

Harry Babb
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

Patrick/Harry-

Thanks. I am going to paint the frames when I'm done with the repairs. Your ideas sound good, but I think based on the alternatives I'm just going to drill and through-bolt.

John F.