Full size lithium batteries

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Full size lithium batteries

Post by Bruce »

Talked to my brother tonight, he just bought 10% of a Chinese company that is manufacturing car size lithium batteries at 1/3 the weight of a normal battery with hugh amounts of reserve capacity.
No talk on price as its new and has not arrived on our shore yet.

Should be a huge step up in battery technology.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sounds good for boats too!! Of course we may all have to get electric boats at this rate. BTW I agree with you about BP. Read where they hadn't sent a pig down it in 14 years until the govt made them do it after the leak this spring!!! Talk about negligence!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Bruce - I did some research on lithium batteries (for my digital camera) and learned that they have a life of about 5 years whether you use them or not. Has the car model beat that rap?

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

UV,
depends on the cathode and electrolyte composition which can be different in the current consumer lithium batteries.

lithium-iodide batteries are designed to have a 15 year life and are used in implanted medical devices.

The compositon of these full size batteries is not known as he just got some prelim information on the company. I asked him to relay more information once he has it but I did ask about current lithium battery designs and competition and he replied they already have worldwide patent rights and these are different than whats being developed in places such as Arizona for electric cars.

The only draw back I see is the potential misuse in Meth labs like Sudafed.
Lithium metal is used as a reducing agent. (certainly something I want to injest)

Some states and retail agencies already limit quantities of lithium batteries that can be purchased at one time.

I use 3v lithium cells in some of my night vision, laser sights and surefire flashlites and buy them by the box and have a limit of two boxes per month purchase.

As I get more info, I'll post it. I'll be looking into a possible US distributorship.
bruce
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Now there is a bit of info I didn't know!! No wonder it rots their teeth and they die of heart attacks!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31