'73 35B tank replacement underway

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

alano

'73 35B tank replacement underway

Post by alano »

Well so far, I've cut the deck out, it had rot in a couple of places anyway, damn cheap bertams, only lasted 33 years! Will replace with nidacore FRP panels over 2" square FRP tube webbing. Cut the tabbing from the front and rear bulkhead and corners or the tank (it's athwartships) and removed the rear bulkhead. Found that a plywood panel was installed about 8" in from stringer to stringer and the tank was bedded in with, I assume, polyster putty. After much consternation, ended up cutting a bunch of wedges from 2x4 and driving them under the tank over top the stringers which lifted the top layer from the plywood but finally popped it out. So now I have a 258 gal tank in the back of my truck trying to give it away to someone, hate to cut it up - trying to interest local farmers for diesel storage or farm chemicals or soemthing. Have measured out for aluminum tank, will pick up an inch here and there and about 40 gals, sorry no pictures yet. Alan.
Alan Ormond
1973 35'
Va Beach, VA
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Alan,
About how much did the tank weigh?
Al Lupone
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
alano

Post by alano »

Al, lifted it out w/the yard's forklift & docklines so we really didn't try, I could lift one side fairly easily but we couldn't figure where stand to lift it by hand and pressing it up to the gunnels and getting down the dock was going to an iffy proposition. i'd say no more than 125lbs. When I pull it of the truck I'll have better idea. Alan.
Alan Ormond
1973 35'
Va Beach, VA
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Alan,
Thanks for the reply. My B33 has a 255 gal. tank & I was wondering what the weight would be. That is IF I can get it out in one piece. Guys in the next marina pulled the tank on a B28 this weekend. Only way it would come out was in pieces.
Al Lupone
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Hi Alan,

Sorry to year you had to pull the tank. I'm facing the same thing in my B35 but am waiting until this fall/winter. Fortunately my deck had already been replaced with an aluminum insert and comes out real easy. I had a leaky aux. tank in front of the main a few years back, so my front bulkhead is all brand new and overbuilt :( So if I do replace it I'll have a lot of cutting to do on the front.

While you're in there are you going to re-paint/fix other stuff?

I know balance means a lot in the boat, but I'm considering moving the Generator to in front of the tank and then expanding the tank about 15" further back for more capacity.

Keep us posted as to what size tank you go with or any other tips.

Another question, what motors do you have? I have crusader CH350's (454's) from the late 80's.

br,
JohnD
alano

Post by alano »

Hi John, about all the additional work I'm going to do is scab in on the front bulkhead where the AC units have been dripping fresh water and it runs onto to the cleats, other than that, pressure wash and epoxy some glass on the plywood the tank sits on and go. I removed the generator years ago, it actully ran but I never used it and I wanted the space for a 55 gal. spare tank. The new tank will be approx. 300 gals which should help my balance as well. When I put the Merc 8.1s in the balance moved a bit (a bit lighter and the ZFs are shorter than then BWs) and I swear the boat is happier w/a full load of fuel. Couldn't make the tank much wider w/out getting over the strut pads but picked up a couple of inches here and there. Did manage to give the old tank away, guy'll be using it to transport diesel to his equipment. Regards, Alan.
Alan Ormond
1973 35'
Va Beach, VA
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I agree about the weight and found this supported by other B35's with diesels especially Cats.

I believe my balance was upset a little when the previous owner moved the ac units and batteries over the water tank. Then added an extra 110gal in front of the old tank where the AC units had been. When both tanks were full she sat level in the water. Now with the extra tank removed (it leaked) there's a slight bow down when the main is anything but full.

Good luck with your project.
John