Report on Tony Athen's aftermarket impellers for Cummins

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Report on Tony Athen's aftermarket impellers for Cummins

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I had installed Tony's redesigned aftermarket impellers in my Sherwood pumps on AJ's 6BTA 250s (pumps were fairly new, say 400 hours) in May of 2005 and had no problems even after the forced layup for 11 months on the hard after Katrina. Last week I noticed a little elevated temp on the port side at WOT, so this weekend I pulled both pumps and overhauled them in the shade.....a lttle less than 100 hours on the impellers, but 2 & a haf years or so...port impeller had two torn blades and stb one (out of 12 blades) Neither shed any parts. Tony had recently sent me his newly designed cams and stainless wear plates. Both were far superior to the stock Sherwoods...My pumps are the 15000 series...he also makes stuff for the 17000 pumps, including whole new pumps.

All the stuff he sent fit perfectly, the cams (big fat o-ring under the cam screw vs. the Sherwood flat wahser), the plates, the gaskets, the o-rings, etc. Yesterday took AJ on a WOT ride down the Tickfaw (in 92 degree water) and all is well, she runs just a good as she always did and no elevated temps.

Tony's impellers vs. the garbage that Sherwood sells that last 4 or 5 months and then blow up into hundreds of shreds are top notch. Remember, impellers are a wear out item as well as the wear plates and cams, and getting that much time out of Tony's convinced me he did it right.

If you have a 6B Cummins, get his impellers, cams, & wear plates.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

UV,

Once I get all the new off my 15000 series pumps cams & wear plates. I'll switch over to Tony's cams & wear plates then. But for now, Tony's impellers will do better than the original impellers, taken into account the sherwood impellers did setup for almost 3yrs before they were ever install in the boat and had water on them, so after 7-8 hrs of running those rebuilt engines & dry rot could have set in to be fair about it. But I feel much better about Tony's impellers over the others. Don't want to rebuild those puppies again because of overheating them.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!