Bahia Mar Colors

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

Bahia Mar Colors

Post by JohnCranston »

Hey guys,

You are the experts out there and I am trying to help John find a color for his Bahia Mar. I looked at the Awl Grip colors and there are many to choose from. So here is the question....Which color is best for his boat.

For those of you who do not know - he is totally blind - can't see a thing. But as some of you know he wants to look cool at the dock could care less about the Fish.

I am leaning toward the Federal Yellow, with black bottom and boot stripe.

Been looking at blues and can not find the right one..it is hard to tell by the color cards on the web site.

Fibergalss guy only sprays Awl Grip. Need help, do not be bashful!!

Thanks

Pam

p.s. John closed deal on new 315 Yanmars
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
randall

Post by randall »

pam...ive met john...he's cool at the dock....if you like a yellow hull you might look at "buddy boy" on this site...ive seen it in person also and photos dont do it justice......good luck
Harv

Post by Harv »

Pam,

Go to http://www.bertramrendezvous.com/
Check out some of the past rendezvous pictures from the past few years. There have been several Bahia Mars (including mine) that you can view in the pictures.
Mine, "Windstar" is factory white with black trim and blue bottom.
Dick Dean's "Irish Wake"is white with blue trim and black bottom.
Charlie Johson's "My 4 Girls" was fighting lady yellow with black trim and bottom, but he is switching to an ice blue hull.
Ray's "Reel Crazy" is a light blue hull as well, and George's 20ft Bahia Mar, "My Shadow" has a cool blue hull as well.
No matter which color he chooses, John will look cool in his boat. In my opinion, the Bahia Mar is the sexiest of all the models. If he wants to touch base with me just tell John to give me a call.
Harv
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pam
personaly i think the federal yellow is just to much yellow, talking to the guy that just sprayed my boat, he said the darker colors are harder to keep clean example salt spray will show more . i opted for a light ice blue that came out great, very happy with it.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

sea foam green!!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Jeff Pagano's Bahia Mar had a black hull and was the most beautifully rigged Bahia Mar I've ever seen. He may have some pictures of it. I know what they say about dark hulls, but this one was classy! Walter
scot

Post by scot »

What do they say about dark hulls?

I can't vote, I don't think I have ever seen a 31 Bahia Mar that I didn't like.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

need to be carefull with dark hulls---i have seen a few where it shows the print thru of the fiberglass---i think an extra step is necessary to prevent---it just gets too hot.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Creame off white with black bottom and 3 in. wide bootstripe a combination of good and evil!!!!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks for all of your input. I have looked at all the pics ... looks like you guys have a great time. Thanks Harv. A lot of different options. If anyone has additional pics of their boat (CWJ), please post. I like seeing the colors together on a boat. It will help me describe the colors to John. John and his local buddies are leaning toward Marlin Blue, white bottom and white boot stripe. Any boats with this set up, I would love to see it. I need to make sure when I am riding around in it that I look as "cool" as John does at the Dock!!

Thanks

Pam
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

John,
My mother (an artist) always said, "A little chrome (Federal) yellow goes a long way." I painted Dreamsicle orange and could have ended up with a horror story if the hue (shade) was wrong. Personally I think Federal is a bit strong. Yellow like orange can be fabulous but beware the hue. I asked my brother (art diector for his own ad agency) and he brought a PMS* book to help pick the color and then had Awl Grip mix it. Fortunately they use the PMS* book and were able to get an exact match. Most paint companies can match anything with computers today. Didn't cost much more either.
Ask an artist. Luckily we have Randall among others to call on for expertise and taste(?). Take the time, to paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright, 'you only have to paint it once, then you have to live with it.'

* PMS is the Pantone Matching System - used in the printing industry to match ink colors. It has become a standard for color match. Make sure the book is fairly recent as the colors in it can fade over time and if you chose a color from the book, called Awl grip and gave them the number and your book was old and theirs of course new it could lead to an ugly surprise.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

yeah, thats the ticket...maybe i could be a yacht decorator......yes darling....maybe something in a mauve?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pam
ill post some pics this week when shes done.
charlie
Capt. Mike Holmes

Colors

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Randall, the yacht interior designers I've heard about around here were often gay - but there would probably be a need for straight guys in that business. I was watching a CSI rerun the other night about their "minature Killer" who made exhaustive minature models of his crime scenes. I was thinking, "No one could do something like that. " And then the thought hit me - "Randall could".

John and Pam, I've already voted with John on the phone for sea foam green, but my express is black, don't know what the guys are talking about on dark hulls - no problem seeing the cloth through mine. Of course, it's a 1962 hull, so it may be a bit thicker.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I just started painting a 1973 IH bull dozer Federal Yellow this weekend. Wow, is it ever yellow! Startlingly yellow!! Please don't do that to a B31!!! It will look like a piece of construction equipment!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

O.k.,
Federal yellow is out of the running. Gonna wait on Charlie's pics and will check out his blue. What about JP's shade of blue? Is it close to Awlgrips marlin blue.

Capt Mike,
What shade of blue is the "Rocket" over in Bridge Harbor?

Thanks for all of the help, guys.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Blue

John, it's "Bullett", although it is a rocket with those 370 hp Cummins. I don't know the trade name of the color, assuming it's Awlgrip, and it;s a dark blue.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I know I'm in the minority, but I still love fighting lady yellow with a dark green stripe with white upper works!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
neil

Post by neil »

john we have a bahiamar and if i ever paint it , it would be the same color as jps boat, he lives around the corner from us and his boat is nothing shy of stunning neil
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

For blues, I think the Judge's boat is simply a stunning color of blue. Simply stunning.
Garry

Post by Garry »

Don't experiment with a wild color and stick with the proven commodities. For example, we fished along side a late model 60+ Viking a couple of weeks back, beautiful lines but butt ugly custom paint. Apparantly the owner is a Caterpillar Distributor somewhere along the Gulf Coast. CAT yellow looks ok on an engine bleow deck or a piece of heavy off road equipment, but on a sportfishing yacht? I can imagine the same being said for federal yellow. Just one man's opinion....

Good luck with your choice,

Garry
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

dosent one of the guys here run a "Claret" colored RLDT?? Oh yea, I puked on that one too.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Capt. Mike Holmes

Green?

Garry, what color green is your buddy Gale's Bahia Mar? Is that Sea Foam? Really beautiful.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Or wrap that rascal?

John, have you heard about the custom wrap jobs they do on things like the kingfish tournament boats? It's some sort of plastic wrap like they use to put advertising on a van or race car. You can have wild designs, your picture, or naked women done along the hull.
randall

Post by randall »

oh...i thought the link was gonna be you actually puking on mikes boat.......
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

John, please make a decision. Don't get into a rut like Andre.

So what to do?

Go to the IMAGES section and just look at Bahia Mar's.

I like ( in the order of the listing )
Blue Boy
Comorant Princess ?????
Fun Ticket
Baba Grande
My 4 Girls -- have to wait, she in the beauty parlor
A/K/A El Gaupo
Capt. Mike Holmes

Windshield?

John, slight subject change. When I went by Noe's today while taking care of bidness involving my new property in Turtle Cove, he appears to have started on the windshield on that Bahia Mar he's doing. I'll try to stop by tomorrow and check it out closer.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

I looked at the images and there are a lot of choices. You have to understand that I like the classic look - White w/ black bottom. I need to know if anyone can tell me what color JP Dalik used on his boat. Is it Ice Blue? www.awlgrip.com Also, Mike Holmes asked Garry about the color of green of his buddies Bahia Mar.

All I know is this is confusing. Does anyone have an opinion on the Sky Blue or Marlin Blue?

Guys I appreciate all the input - hopefully John and I can come to a compromise on a color with a little more input. We are both stubborn - but we both want the boat to look great.

Thanks

Pam
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

John/Pam,

Aristo Blue boot stripe
Ice Blue Hull
Off White Revisited top sides- this is the color that sets the hull off.

If you look at a color chart and the color really jumps off the page, it will reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!! jump off the boat. I don't know why but a little color goes a long way on a hull.
Its not like painting a room where the color surrounds you, on a boat its the only color around so it really grabs your eye.

My vote is for any of the classics, fighting lady yellow, ice blue or aquamist green. I've painted the ice blue and the aquamist with off white revisited topsides and its worked very well.

Whichever you decide have fun. Hell if you don't like it change the color next year. Its only paint.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I have a Bertram 25 that is painted Awlgrip skyblue.

I don't have them up on a server, so I can't post, but email me and I'll shoot you some pictures.

Ian.

ian.upton@gm.com
Harv

Post by Harv »

John, Pam,

Just a side thought here.
Darker colors will tend to attract the sunlight and lighter colors reflect the sunlight. A darker colored hull may be inherently warmer than a lighter colored hull. I found out the hard way with my bimini top which came on the boat when we got her. Although the black top looks good and matches the rest of the boat, it is very hot under there on a sunny day, compared to being out under the sun in the cockpit. So keep that in mind when you choose your overhead colors as well.
Harv
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

JP

That is the info I was looking for. Still like Pam to see Garry's buddy's Bahia Mar in a pic and see what Charlie's color looks like when he gets through. My first choice was Fighting Lady Yellow but with me being blind I started listening to others and it can be overwhelming. You're and Garry's thoughts on color coordination go a long way for me to understand. I want Reel Cowboy to be an eye catcher, but not too loud or brash. I m not trying to copy anyone and I think the overall look will be unique. Hope I get a thumbs up from you guys.

Thanks again

John
713-906-0842

JP thanks for the input - I think that we are narrowing the selection down. You guys stay safe and keep fishing!!

Pam
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Harv

Thanks a lot. We will keep that in mind. John told me to tell you to keep him posted on the Nannies.

You made a good point.

Thanks

Pam
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

john, pam
should have the finished pics up by the weekend, citting the corners on the rub rail today, new rail fits like a glove very happy the way its comming out, black boot stripe should be painted tommoro, #s on then splash, just in time for the fall run.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

looking at the color chart my imron is probably close to the sky blue on the algrip chart may be a little lighter. its hard to pic a color off a chart with a 1" square
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Can not wait to see the finished product. And, yes it is very difficult to pick a color of a 1" square.

Thanks

Pam
Capt. Mike Holmes

Blue

There was a new 51' Riviera at Bridge Harbor this week with pretty much the same sahde of blue as Trey's boat.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mike,

Did you check on Noe's bahia mar? I'm curious on what color he's gonna paint her and the bottom color also. Like to hear about Charlie's half tower that he's building. Give me a buzz when you get a minute, Mike.

Thanks.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Noe

I intended to go by today, go tied up running errands with the wife instead. Noe had told me last week they were going to prime the hull Thursday, put the tower on to check the mounting, then take it back off before painting. I didn't think to ask about color. I'll go by tomorrow.