Autotether; what do you make of this?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Autotether; what do you make of this?

Post by STeveZ »

A wireless kill switch system @ $229. Can't really figure out how it works from the website.

http://www.autotether.com/home.cfm
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Must be a wireless version of Mercury outboard's kill switch that you could attach to your belt. If you fell overboard, the coiled wire would be pulled out of the ignition and kill the engine instantly. It was rarely used because of it's inconveniece and deterrent to your mobility. This makes more sense especially if you fish alone. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Steve

I can see comming thru a rough inlet and a guy on the jetty places a call to his wife telling her how rough it is.

A stray signal shuts your unit down or the units batteries die or it gets wet from heavy rain and the guy describes in detail to his wife about your boat crashing into the rocks.

The fcc regs on inexpensive wireless units and their design is not the best. I have a wireless lite and fan unit that gets turned on by someting in the neighbors house from time to time.

Just one more thing to screw up, K.I.S.S.
Dug

Post by Dug »

It was invented by a fellow in my harbor named Anthony Viggiano. He invented it after a mutual friend of ours fell overboard while fishing alone off of the ferry harbor in his 16' center console in the late fall. He managed to get back on the boat thank god, but it was a very, very close call.

Typical kill switches tether you to the console with very little travel room given, and this will let you move about the boat a bit.

If you have any questions, I am sure I can put you in touch with Anthony. He is a great guy.

And he cares about his friends!

Dug
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The amp on my cb would do it in one second. I can open garage doors and talk over your tv if Im parked in your driveway. It will start cars and set off alarms in cars also.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Brewster- You must be a fun neighbor! Walter
Carl

Post by Carl »

Brewster, are you Mobile or Base.

I've had a hand in some Mobile setups, Chicken-Bone and Pork-Chop come to mind if you go to Keydowns.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Parked in driveway...mobile. It took some time for me to finish processing the sentence.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I love the truckers with enough watts to broadcast through the computer speakers at work!! Scares the crap out of me some times! I have a friend who has a setup that will light a flourescent bulb if it is held near the antenna!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Hey guys,

I got yelled at about this recently...but this is not a thread about CB radios, but the Auto tether system....

Just want to keep you out of trouble...

Dug
Harv

Post by Harv »

Brewster Minton wrote:The amp on my cb would do it in one second. I can open garage doors and talk over your tv if Im parked in your driveway. It will start cars and set off alarms in cars also.
Way back in my teens, when I was living with my mom, I used to have a CB with a kicker attached to it. It was a mobile unit hooked up to a power converter for home use. One day, I nearly gave my mom a heart attack when some friends came by and I said "I'm ready to come out".
Needless to say, my mom was defrosting something in the microwave and she heard what I said, coming from the microwave. Kinda freaked her out just a weee bit.
Harv
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Now Dug, that just takes all of the fun out of it doesn't it!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

It did and does...

:)
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

How bout them Yankees?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Actualy the rf power that radiates from electronic gear is very relavent to this thread because we are talking about a wireless device.

Most illegal linear amps for radio transmission power do cause quite a bit of problems.

Examples of those problems only help to explain.

Sorry Dug, but being a thread NAZI is something most only dream about but very few will ever achieve.
It's a fine balance between schizophrenia and being able to explain expressionistic paintings.
Brewster Minton

Im mobile. 450 watts from a suped up Texas Star 350 out a Wilsom 1000. Road Devil mic on a cobra 129 deck with reverb , echo, and a couple of other goodies. She will screw up anything electrical and will reset the computers at McDonalds and BK, you have to wait till after they give you your order unless you really want to wait.
Carl

Post by Carl »

450 watts will cause some electrical issues.

I've only worked the mechanical end of fitting 10 200amp alternators under the hood to power the batteries, to power the capaciters, to power the amps to boost the signal. Also did a few oversize mounts to handle that power.

Not a lot of guys doing that, but it only takes one person keying up at the wrong time to cause you some big problems, if it should shut your motors down when running an inlet, trying to manuevor thru ship, ferry and now the Fast Ferries as I do in NY harbour area. I don't even like the idea of wiring up a boat to kill the motors if Low oil pressure or overheating occurs. Just give me loud buzzers and let me choice the best course of action.

Maybe the Tether can be adapted to have an alarm mode which can be reset by operator with a timed limit prior to a shut down. Still don't like auto shutdown, but maybe if trolling shorthanded it could be switched on.
Brewster Minton

The MOB system in my boat will shut down the motors if you fall over. Look at the Alert2 MOB system
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Or have the Autotether set up with a switch so that you can switch it off when not fishing!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce, if you really think I was serious...wow. I don't lose a lot of sleep over thread direction.

Just brought back a surprise from last week was all!

As for the auto tether, I believe you have a choice as to whether you wear it or not Rawleigh. If you put it on, it works. If you leave it on the dash, it won't work. Just like a kill lanyard. If you don't wear it it won't work. Like the lottery, you won't win if you don't play... you get the picture...

Let me see if I can get Anthony to weigh in here...

I know also that Raymarine makes a system that will help you locate a man overboard that interfaces with the e-series.

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

Anthony may register and comment tonight.

He said the "official product launch" will be at the Newport boat show in RI next weekend. Good spot to ask questions, etc.

Dug
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Just having fun..........
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce,

Ditto dude...

Gotta find the fun somewhere!

D
yachtjim

Post by yachtjim »

Hi Everybody, I was just surfing around the net and found this thread on autotether. I see there are a few questions and concerns here, we are a dealer (their first i think) so I would be happy to answer any Q's. I put one on my boat and wrote a whole review on it, I would be happy to post it here if that is within the rules. I have been very happy with mine, works as advertised. I have never had it pop off by accident, unless I pull up to a dock and walk too far from the boat forgetting the wireless remote is on my pocket. If you are worried about going into an inlet and it accidentally popping off you could simply turn it off. Most people don't use their lanyards anyway. Where I see this being useful is when you are out trolling around by yourself you could turn it on, so if you do go over for some reason the engines will shut right down. I find myself using mine all the time now as it is another great level of safety.

Great site you have here, I restored my 23 Seacraft and always stopped by here in the process for ideas. Thanks!
Jim Maier
BOE Marine
randall

Post by randall »

that was the first thing i thought of....just use it when not at the wheel..............im not fallin off while driving the boat...if i do there are bigger problems at hand.....of course i personally wont get one...