classicyachtmag.com, a Bertram story included

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

classicyachtmag.com, a Bertram story included

Post by Mikey »

classicyachtmag.com, an internet magazine, has its second short article about the trials and tribulations of a total Bertram renovation, Dreamsicle. Page 100. Read the whole mag and you'll find that my five-year odyssey is small compared to some of the others. It is all most interesting. Still this is our story.
Bruce, i hope you get that express. What a great boat! Going today to see if those lumps installed in the middle are engines or anchors.

http://www.classicyachtmag.com/currentissue#
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

nice..the whole mag is a fun read.....i love those old wood boats...had one once...real glad theres people with the time and money to take care of them...boat looks great in the photo...you in good company
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Mike, nice article and it was great to meat you in person last year at atlantic city. Maybe next year we travel up together....

I wish I was only wrong on time, I missed on budget too. But as a rule I don't keep count of what's been spent as much as what's next to spend ;-)

I just dropped the 20 off for a new transom this afternoon. My neighbor askek 2 boats a once??? I which I had your money. I said you wish you didn't have my afliction...

Keep going the end is near.... I can't wait to see her in person.

br,
JohnD
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

The phrase that hits home for me is "I'm 75% complete and have another 80% to go." When people ask me when I'll be finished I say "Well, I'll never really be finished..."
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

There is a gentleman that lives on Fish River near my place that owns a couple of Lyman Lapstrake boats. He has completely refurbished them......absolutely beautiful. Actually I think he owns 3 Lymans. Two inboards and one outboard.

I once owned an old Cruisers lapstrake 20 footer I/O with an Eaton Outdrive. I spent an entire winter working every opportunity I could find to restore the old girl. She sure looked good when I was finished.
I could not believe how much time it takes just to maintain a wooden boat after the major work is done. Within 2 years my old Cruisers needed a good bit of work to get her looking good again..........but I did use it a lot for every weekend fishing.

Harry Babb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

i think harry hit the nail on the head...i consider my boat a "rolling restoration".......i keep trying to make it better but i can stand still for awhile (at least cosmetically) and its OK...when i had an all wood boat....i never stood still.....thats why i admire guys that can maintain them