Militec

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Militec

Post by mike ohlstein »

Is anyone famlier with these products? Specifically the KG-12 bore cleaner....but oil additives too.

http://www.laniganperformance.com/
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I've seen it for sale for a while but don't know anything about it. I'm sceptical of some of the claims they make about it re: engines.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mike,
Their lube is good but did poor on corrosion protection.
I use shooters choice products for bore cleaners.

As long as you oil the bore after the copper cleaner, you won't have a problem. CX red works good as a bore cleaner for powder residue and penetrant.

The product that scores at or very near the top of just about everyone's testing is also the most available, and the cheapest.

It also has good migration, a good boundary lubrication package, is the right weight (thickness) for general firearms use, doesn't oxidize over long periods of storage, and is compatible with a wide range of metals and plastics.

Drum roll please................

Dexron-type Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).
That's right, plain ol' ATF.

One more thing.
On a lever gun you have to be careful with the muzzel crown while cleaning.

Brass tips and a Dewey rod are essential to keep from damaging the crown which will affect accuracy.

I have made muzzel protectors for all rifles that have to be cleaned from the muzzel.

I take delrin rod stock 1" larger than the diameter of the front barrel. I cut it 1-3/4 long.
I then bore 1" long the same as the outside diameter of the barrel thru the center of the delrin rod.

The rod should slide snug over the barrel. If you have a front sight, you can notch the rod to fit.

Then I get thick wall brass tube stock to match the bore diameter. .30, 45, etc.
I cut a piece 3/4" long then bore the front part of the delrin rod just under the outside diameter of the brass tube stock then press the 3/4" brass tube stock into the delrin.

Now the brass tube stock will take the brunt of the wear when cleaning and not the muzzle crown.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sweet!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Dexron-type Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).
That's right, plain ol' ATF.

Are you telling me that all these years I've been spending $7 each for those little bottles of Break-Free, and simple ATF will do the job just as well?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

As far as lube and anti corrosion, yes.