VDO Plastic lens covers.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

renegademike

VDO Plastic lens covers.

Post by renegademike »

Any ideas on how to clean the plastic lens covers. They are very hazy from the sun and I am having trouble finding the lens without having to buy the whole gauge. I am hoping there is product out there that will do the Job. Thanks for your help Mike T
Jareb

Post by Jareb »

Mike,
3M makes a plastic cleaner and a plastic polish that works well on haze and scratches. Mothers also makes a polish.
John
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Micro Mesh if they are scratched. or crazed. https://www.micro-surface.com/default.c ... _id=206#14

Very good stuff!! Very uniform abrasive on a rubber backing.so that all of the abrasive scratches are uniform depth so that the next finer grit will remove all traces of the coarser grit (unlike sandpaper). It is used a lot in the aircraft industry to clear up plastic windshields (or Bertrams!). I have used it in polishing the metal on guns.

Here is the kit you need for $15.00 USD. https://www.micro-surface.com/default.c ... &storeid=1
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

You might be best off just buying new ones. Try Vehicle Controls Inc www.vehiclecontrols.com 800-457-7167 in Michigan. I bought all new VDO chrome round bezels so the new Cummins gauges would fit in the original B-31 instrument panel and the whole thing was $62.60 which included shipping.
renegademike

Post by renegademike »

A Mexican captain down here showed me how these VDO gauges actually have two plastic lenses with a gap in between. My boat was in a very dusty dry storage and some how some really fine dust got in there and made look really hazy. I took them apart and cleaned it up with some 3M and it looks pretty dam good compared to before.
There is still some scratches so I ordered that plexiglass lens repair kit from Micro surface finishing products that Rawleigh suggested. That should get them looking brand new agian.
Thanks agian guys for all your help. My redo is moving along and with your help will be better off in the long run. I cant wait to get that sweet thing in the water.