Hatches Suggestions?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

joeh

Hatches Suggestions?

Post by joeh »

Guys,

I have 4 hatches under the gunnels that are 23" x 13" to the frame. Maker is tempress. They Suck! The weak pastic hinges break and the hatches come open or fall off regularly.

I have searched the web with little success .....any thoughts?

Thanks as always.

Joe
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I made my 18" x 3' hatches from Starboard with Southco lift type latches. Surface mount hinges. So far they are great!! I made a plywood lip that was epoxied inside the hatch so that the door is flush with no frame around it. I have some poor quality JPEG pics of them that I can email if you want me to. Not to brag, but I havent seen a more useful setup than mine. It has never failed and it gives me full access to the space behind the gunnels for lines, boathooks and washdown/livewell pumps.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Joeh, call A.R.V. Precision Mfg. They make hatches for boats. 631/293/9643 ask for Fred, the owner. Use my name and tell him you're a friend. He will make it and ship to you. They do a lot of boat work ... windshields, sliding windows, sliding doors, dash boards.

Make sure you use my name!
A/K/A El Gaupo
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Joe,
Bomar makes similar hatches.
I've had the Tempress 18 x 31, watertight, locking hatches in place under Triton IIs gunn'ls for over four years and no problems. Just have to keep them cleaner!. I added their Tackle Hatch at that time and added another 18 x 31 in the transom panel two years ago. All are OK.
Check Bomar for ready-made or look into custom work.
Jerry, Triton II
joeh

Post by joeh »

I bought the Bomar hatches! They have much better hinges. Thanks All!