Tiller arm removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jgrice

Tiller arm removal

Post by jgrice »

trying to remove the tiller arm from the connector joint--joint is bronze on a 3/4" connector arm, first one came off OK as the tiller arm was bolted with a knuckle bolt to the connector joint, second one is not so easy, appears that the knuckle bolt broke off and was welded or peened to the tiller arm. I assume that the small slotted fitting on the end of the connector joint must be removed to allow the knuckle bolt to be removed and the question of the hour is: how do I remove the fitting, I've tried penetrating oil and screwdrivers is there something I've missed? (the cotter pin is already out)
thanx for any ideas
John G
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine screwed out, but it took some working back and forth to get it free. The threads are probably corroded. There is a half round piece behind the screw that forms the outer half of the ball coupling. As I recall the body of the fitting forms the other half. I think persistence and time to allow the oil to penetrate, followed by a judicious use of heat. If it is a gas boat be extra careful with the heat!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jgrice

Tiller arm removal

Post by jgrice »

thanks Rawleigh, I got em off, wasn't sure if one was LH or not--I had to go to the auto parts store and buy a drag link socket and that did the trick along with help from my neighbor.
would you know if all tiller arms are the same? I want to buy a set from Capt Patrick but don't know exactly what to order, connector links seem to be OK but after I got the tiller arms off they were in bad shape and I want to replace them
thanx
John G
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'm not sure. Capt. Pat would be the one to ask. As long as they fit the rudder stock, are the same length and aren't too long, I don't see why it would matter that much.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31