diesel smoking.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RussP

diesel smoking.

Post by RussP »

I noticed my starboard engine was smoking and leaving a nice soot layer on the transom after running. The engine ran fine and turned up full RPM so I pulled the injectors and figured it out. After testing the injectors # 2 injector wasn't popping just sending out a mist of diesel and dripping after it fires. #3 went off at 200psi with a nice atimized spray but had a slight drip after fireing. Action Diesel in Ft Pierce is rebulding the injectors for $40 a piece and a new tip for the # 2 injector is $42 bucks so for some short money and some of my free labor we should be smoke free once again.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Good to know Russ. What kind of engines do you have and how many hours?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
RussP

Post by RussP »

They are Perkins Fish Killers from Brewesters boat model 6-354. It's suprising how smooth they ran even with an injector dumping fule.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Diesel guys, remember the Tony Athens "turbo wash" - a cheap way to keep your diesel's innards working good....a little water and Dawn once a year. Keeps the turbo, aftercooler, injectors, piston crowns, and valves clean. Works on any diesel, turbo or not.

UV
scot

Post by scot »

UV...what does Tony advocate that you do with the solution?....run it throught the engine???
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Scot, here's the drill - this is for a 5.9 liter Cummins 6BTA, so adjust for your displacement: take a 16 oz. plastic trigger bottle and put 8 oz. of distilled water in it, then one oz. of the blue Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent and swirl it around to mix, don't shake and make bubbles. Take the air cleaner off the engine and run the boat up to cruise load underway, not out of gear at the dock...let it heat up to full operating temp, then shoot the 9 oz of Dawn/distilled water into the air intake over about a 3 minute span...use a stream rather than a mist. Then follow with 6 oz. of pure distilled water from another pump bottle. And that's it.

I bought a couple of 32 oz. pump bottles at Wally World and mixed enough Dawn/water to do both engines and used the other for the distilled water follow up. Diesel upkeep on the cheap....no, it does not hurt the engine.....your diesel at cruise ingests a few gallons of water per hour at 50% humidity, just think about it...the Dawn does the trick.

UV