PLAYPEN IS FINALLY IN!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

charlie falkenstein

PLAYPEN IS FINALLY IN!

Post by charlie falkenstein »

just wanted to update the faithful as to the status of PLAYPEN,after many delays we finally relaunched this past friday,and thanks to the questions you all answered starting LAST JULY the project done at DOWN JERSEY BY TIM SILVIO AND HIS VERY PROFESSIONAL STAFF is complete and i can tell you all the final results are just incredible.
first off i went with the 315 yanmars and went with the specs. forwarded to me by capt.pat and the boat at 4000 rpm was doing 32.8 knots,at 3200 rpm the boat was cruising at 27.8 knots.
tim rebuilt the entire stringer and bulk head system and i could not believe the different feeling and the rigidity,dont feel like the same boat!
we reconfigured the instruments,added single lever controls and added the garmin4208 wher the compass used to sit on the star.side,i got the complete deck,sides,live well from nelson at glasstech,added a rocket launcher from release marine,had every wire ripped out and replaced plus new gen. and perko hull lights.
i will post some pix.after next week as we have our overnight tour. this week.
again THANKS
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Glad to hear you in the water Charlie, sounds like you got everything you wanted and more. I'll be looking for the Pics.

Good Luck, ScottD
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Charlie,

Your numbers are right on that of Island Girl, also with Yanmar 315s. We have 2:1 gears swinging 20X23.5 four-blades. What gear/prop setup are you running? Congrats on your project; you're going to love your "new" boat.

Tommy
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Charlie,
Nice to hear your job turned out great.

A solid foundation for the engines is essential for a quality job. The last 31 repower, "Time Machine" with the heavy Volvo D4's required a little more engineering than usual due to the weight and close togetherness of the front and rear mounts.

The owner was concerned during construction of my 3 or 4 revisions of the ramps and bed caps and more than once remarked, are you sure you know what you are doin?

I replied, of course not.

Well after three very rough trips to the Bahamas including one that broke the water tank loose, the engines and supporting structures I installed remained solid.

He was very happy I was overly concerned about the design after that.