A little local knowledge, Hueso?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Alex

A little local knowledge, Hueso?

Post by Alex »

My wife got rewarded at work with a six-night trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico. If she decides to take me and if I can get her out of the resort, what are one or two things we should absolutely see or do? We'll be there in mid November.

Thanks

Alex
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Alex, I was in Puerto Rico last year and enjoyed it. Spent a few days in Old San Juan doing the tourist thing, it was O.K. The highlight for us was Culebra, an Island off the Southern tip of Puerto Rico. It depends on what you like of course, but Culebra is a laid back place with no chain resturants, just local Mom & Pop places and nothing but rural areas and empty beaches. I plan to go back, rent a boat, and see the Island from the water, diving where I see fit, or just going to remote beaches for a week.

Good Luck, ScottD
nestorpr

Post by nestorpr »

Make sure you visit the El Yunque Rain Forest Reserve, it's one of the few left intact in the world, also visit the Camuy Cave park, that's where they recorded the bat sounds for the movie Batman and one of the largest cave systems in the world. Also visit the Arecibo Radio Telescope, the largest in the world featured in the movies Contact and Goldeneye, before they shut it down. If you have any moonless nights, you must visit the Phosphorescent Bay in La Parguera and watch the fish swim by at night! If you still have time visit the Bacardi Rum factory and take a full tour of Old San Juan, the oldest walled city in the entire Western Hemisphere. If you can take time out for a little fishing, charter a shallow water fishing trip at the San Juan Marina, right next to the famous Club Nautico de San Juan. In the rivers and canals that empty into San Juan Bay you can catch huge Tarpon and Snook right under the city buildings and bridges! Then you can finish off with a nice tour of the eastern coast by water where you can scuba or snorkel in some of the clearest water you have ever seen, it's like you're floating on air. When you leave, please kiss my homeland goodby for me!
Looking for my next boat!
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

In essence, nestorpr and Scot hit the mark........................but there is a lot more to do.............first step is to tell me in what part of the island you will be staying and/or which hotel...............then I'll give you all the options available to my knowledge..