Sweet Ride

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harv

Sweet Ride

Post by Harv »

A few of us were fortunate to get a ride on Gary's Bertram Nautec Racer.
The cockpit held 5 of us for a quick trip of wave hopping at about 42mph. The boat is very interesting in that it has one engine behind the cockpit with a v-drive and one engine in front of the cockpit with a z-drive. There is a single rudder amidships that does absolutely nothing until the trim tabs are engaged, and then she banks over smartly and makes her turns. She also holds 600 gals of gas and has a water ballast system as well. She may not move like a Fountain or a Cigarette, but nothing else has the colored history of a Bertram. Once again, thanks for the ride Gary.
Harv
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I see the Bertram, but what's that blue thing in front of it?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

hell....my boat will go 42....
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

3 hints: Griffin, Nassau, early history..........
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Capt. Mike Holmes

Sweet

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

VERY interesting looking boat. I'd love to see it in person.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Actually, I think it's one of the ones, (or the one), that Lee Dana re-designed in concert with Riva Boat Mfg., out of Italy... All of the early B31 race boats had the engines side by side, some forward of the helm, some aft.
Last edited by CaptPatrick on Jul 26th, '07, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Capt. Mike Holmes

Sweet

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Interesting vessel. I'd love to do an article about it.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

It was represented as being the 1965 Bertram Miami/Nassau race boat.
Looked like a 31 hull, engines aren't original, pretty cool boat. Charlie thought it might be the one pictured in the Legend of Bertram book with only the tip of the bow still above water. Boat is supposed to do mid fifty's but with no seats and five guys standing in the little cockpit he kept it reasonable on Saturday.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Yeah, all the Bertram race boats had their engines aft, side by side. Just like my boat!
A/K/A El Gaupo
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Not long after Dick Bertram founded Bertram Yacht, the Rittmaster family (of NY) acquired Bertram and called it Bertram Nautec, and not long afterwards named their son, Peter, as president (a little nepotism). According to "Legend", Peter was mostly interested in being an ocean racer, and led Bertram's racing program for several years which included the building of the reverse-transom Bertram 31 raceboats in the late '60s. According to "Searace" by John Crouse, Peter Rittmaster won the July 30, 1969 Hennessy Grand Prix off Long Island in one of these boats that looks like the one pictured. It was labeled "Bertram Nautec 31 Special" and was named "Master Moppie" or "American Moppie", depending on which account of the story you read. I have no idea how many of these were built, but they were very competitive on the ocean racing circuit around '68-'70, at which point Don Arronow began dominating the sport. You have a very nice collectors classic!

As Patrick pointed out, it all began with Dick Bertram and Sam Griffith in the 1960 Miami-Nassau race.

Tommy
Harv

Post by Harv »

As Doug said, the boat is supposed to do around mid 50's. Gary had mentioned it was a bare hull when he found her. He was still trying to work out some of the "bugs". 42mph was still an exhilerating ride with 5 people standing on board and the conditions that day. Gary also carries a picture of the number 8 from page 43 in the Legends of Bertram book. Note the exhaust location on the port hullside. The starboard exhaust, which looks identical is located right next to the cockpit area, as can be seen in the dockside photo.
Harv