help with new (to me) yad sale purchase

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

help with new (to me) yad sale purchase

Post by randall »

i picked up an old (dont know how old...but not that old) evinrude 2.3 for the inflateable.....got new gas...cleaned the plug....no spark.....next step is.........................?? that would be "yard sale"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The points are probably stuck or dirty...have to remove the flywheel to get at them, and they are probably under an alum. cover so shooting CX probably won't work. The points are under the flywheel....first take the flywheel nut loose about two turns....an air impact wrench works best...then take a block of hard wood-bet you have that, and put it on the top of the loose nut....then pry up under the flywheel with a big screwdriver and whack the wood block good with a small maul and the flywheel will pop off the tapered shaft. Don't lose the flywheel key.

Now take the cover off the points and polish the points with some sandpaper and turn the engine over (put the flywheel back on or do it with the nut and a socket) and make sure the points are moving. The condenser is the next suspect.....hard to check without a special meter.

Anyway, it's usually the points on an older OMC outboard...the flywheel has a magnet in it and passes by a coil under it to create some voltage (called a magneto) and the voltage is stored in the condensor, then shot out to the coil via the points.

I had a bunch of old OMC (Johnson, Evinrude, etc) outboards and the points were usually the problem, get crud on the contacts.

Give me a call if you have questions, I got time now to deal with important issues like this....800 260 9908 before noon, then my cell, 225 937 1319.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The kill button is across the coil. Make sure the button is not shorted.

If the thing is old enought not to have a CDI ignition pak then its points and condensor under the flywheel.

I think its a 17mm socket on the flywheel nut. If your not sure what ignition system you have, remove the flywheel to see if you have points and cond.

Thats about it on that OB for spark.
scot

Post by scot »

Randall,

Your wife is right....you are excentric. If I ever make it up that way, I don't want a ride in the Bertram...I want a ride in an inflatable with an antique 2hp motor!

I hope the little fellow will run for you, good luck!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
randall

Post by randall »

thanks vic and bruce...i'm on it ...scot....forget the inflateable...i'll take you ocean canoeing...i guarantee you wont forget it
scot

Post by scot »

Randall,

Canoe?....My first rule for boating is: "it MUST have a motor"....so what size engine do you have mounted on that canoe? LOL
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
randall

Post by randall »

scot....about 20 years ago my son (age 5) and i were comin in from an afternoon in the canoe....at the ramp these two old locals were cursin an pullin on this beat up old evinrude (uh oh )......my son looks this grizzlied old guy in the eye and says "our engine starts every time".....canoes ,kayaks and of course surfboards are an escape from the requirments of engined craft...absolutely no hassels...plus , besides good exercise they are a lot of fun....leaving to go fishing from the kayak right now.....taking the canoe in the ocean is a blast...like runnin rapids...but the waves move
Capt. Mike Holmes

Yad sale

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Randle, I just thought you'd been down in Timmy's area too long - "Yad" sale. I was at a party at a couple's house years ago who were from Baston, a friend asked them where his date could go "potty". The lady from Mass started racking up, saying, "the potty is heah, the potty is right heah!".
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
randall

Post by randall »

actually timmy lives quite a bit north of me and.....you cant get tha from hea
randall

Post by randall »

i wore a hole in my finger trying to get this puppy started...cleaned the points, got a new plug,new gas....................................bruce takes a long look at it , pulls the cord and it starts on the first pull .....thats why he gets the big bucks
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall
I'll bet you were using the wrong finger...............

Harry Babb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Lucky pull.....LOL
randall

Post by randall »

all righty then..................last sunday patrick ,bruce,caren, and i spent some time over at the bay front house of a good friend and client...guy has 13 small boats including a genuine pinas' bay dug out (thats another story).....as were leaving i notice he also has a few small trailers........borrowed one yesterday .(for a yet to be determined time)..threw the inflatable and the evinrude on and went fishing....bluefish on the first cast.......two hours of runnin around for about 50 cents....i can get used to this....total investment to date...$150