454 mechanical fuel pump

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

454 mechanical fuel pump

Post by John F. »

I have 1978 454s in my B31. Starboard fuel pump is bad. I'm about to order one if my local marine store doesn't have it in stock, but am wondering if there us any difference between an automotive and marine fuel pump. Anybody know?

Thanks-

John F.
RussP

Post by RussP »

Absolutly!!!! Marine pumps have the overflow return to the carb if the diaphram goes bad and they are consiterably heavier in construction. It could be a pain in the ass installing the pump so you might as wall do it once the right way.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks. I just got off the phone with the parts guy, and he told me essentially the same thing. Double diaphragm and port for overflow-when diaphragm goes bad.

John F.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Otherwise you have a serious fire hazard if the diaphram ruptures and your insurance carrier may deny the claim!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
There is a rod that operates the fuel pump lever off the cam.
When you pull the old pump out, it will slide down against the inside of the mounting plate.

Make sure you push this back up and rotate the engine by hand to have this rod at its shortest stroke. Makes putting the new pump in that much easier.

Use sealer on the gasket or it will leak oil.
scot

Post by scot »

John,

I'm not sure about your 454's, but many of the Chevys have a bolt screwed into the block at the point of the fuel pump push rod. By removing this bolt you can match the thread and get a temporary bolt that is about 1/2" longer. Screw in the longer bolt and it pins the push rod into place and it will stay put during the installation of the new pump.

Might take a look at the front of the block and see if the bolt is there, if it is...your in luck.

Good Luck,
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

My 440's have that too Scot.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Be carefull putting it in. If you can't find a bolt to put in, then another trick I learned is to dab just a little bit of heavy grease, on the end and it will some times hold the rod up for you. I say be carefull because I learned the hard way on mine. I thought I had it but when I tightned up the bolts I bent the arm and ruined the pump. The rod was not all the way up. Tony Meola
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

John F.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

John: When you install it hold the body of the pump higher than the lever, so if the rod is slowly creeping downward in the grease, the lever will come in under it and push it back up.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I went thru this problem 2 yrs ago. Engine oil leaked out the oil cooler and the lack of oil bent that rod. Had the fuel pump and rod at the auto parts store and it was wasn't the fuel pump for me. The parts guy said roll the rod on the counter. You could see it was bent. Then he told me how it came to be bent. He was right on.
I used the heavy grease method when installing to hold the rod up.
A/K/A El Gaupo
John F.

Post by John F. »

Local marine place didn't have the pump, so I ordered one from ebasic power. The pump looks about the same, but not exactly. The lever is slightly different, the body is slightly different, etc. It''l bolt up, and the lever is close or the same in shape, but still different. Old pump lever is stamped steel with more of a graceful bend to it, while the new pump lever is several pieces of steel fastened together. Problem is that the 454s are '78 blocks and have been "modified" by the previous owner--like when I bought the boat it had automotive holley 600s--maybe the old pump is an autmotive pump is the new one is what I'm supposed to have? So....maybe time to return this pump, and off to the local guy to try to match and have him order it, or will this one work. How different can 454s be? I thought this was gonna' be easy...
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

John,
I also have 1978 454s. I have been looking for a fuel pump to keep as a spare. The pumps are Carters but I cannot read the flange #. Even took a digital pic & tried to manipulate the pic to bring out the #'s better. I know I can go to a different pump, but that means I have to get new fuel lines also. My pumps have the out @ 5 o'clock & the in @ 7 o'clock. Does that sound anything like your pumps?
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

i have carter pumps, mine are electric. not sure the pros and cons of electric vs mechanical.
John F.

Post by John F. »

My inlet and outlet are 180 degress--I guess 3 and 9 o'clock. You're right that its a Carter. The Ebasic power guy sent me an AC. My local parts guy is getting a merc. pump in today that should be 3/9. The only differences from PC, Crusader and Merc. appear to be inlet/outlet. The 5 and 7 position sound close to the PC pump. I let you know what works when I get it.

John F.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
Any capable marine parts guy will be able to match it up. You can get the good quality carter's where the two halves use screws to hold it together. These screws can be removed, the body turned and the inlet/outlet oriented to fit your application.

Real simple.
bruce
John F.

Post by John F. »

Done-thanks for the advice. It all helped.

John F.