Running / Anchor Lights Won't Work!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Running / Anchor Lights Won't Work!

Post by STeveZ »

On my B28. I crawled under helm to investigate today (always a miserable pospect). What an unGodly tackle of wires! Anyway, my aftermarket electronics are wired in a pretty straightforward manner: red goes to a positive fused panel and black goes to a seperate grounded panel.

However the three way light switch uses heavy white candy-striped wiring that enters a tube and runs to points unknown in the boat. I checked all of the bulbs and they're OK, I'm really stumped as to where to look and what to do next. The back of my DC panel is enclosed by a wooden panel, are there fuses in there maybe that I should check?

Thanks!
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

The white candy striped wiring is the good tinned heavy duty stuff. There is no way of telling how your boat is wired but the power to your bridge buss bars should go to your 12v breakers down below. My breakers are labled upper and lower bridge for the lower bridge and electronics box hanging from the hardtop. Are your nav lights in the original bow position (hard to keep working) or relocated to the sides of the bridge ? If relocated to the bridge sides the rewire is simple. Sounds like a fuse or breaker if you have neither side.... where are you located ? I'm in Arnold.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I assume everything's original:
Bow chock running lights.
Anchor light on the helm.
Forward white light on the front of the bridge.
Rear facing white light on the stern.

You know, I didn't check the forward white bulb in front of the bridge. I wonder, if one goes out do they all? Probably not.

I guess the back of the DC panel is the next logical place to go snooping around.

I'm docked on the Bush River BTW. Headed in your direction this week, for an overnighter in Cambridge. Ever been?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Steve: I hate to state the obvious, but I assume you have checked for power at the switch. If you have it jump across the switch and see if they light. If not, go to the DC panel.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mack

Post by Mack »

Had the same problem with one of my running lights when we went for a nightime fireworks cruise last week. Before I even went to check the fuses or breakers (bulbs were fine) I pulled the bulbs shot the connections with CX. Problem solved. If a good dose of CX doesn't work, start tracing it back with the trusty voltmeter.

Haven't done the Hyatt/Cambridge thing yet but I hear it is nice. John F. has been down there a few times.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Rawleigh: When it comes to me and anything mechanical there is no "obvious", just my desire to have it working again with minimal time, trouble and expense. Dare to dream I say.

Mack: Along with investigating the switch (which looks solid from the outside), I'll try cleaning and CX-ing the sockets. I had planned to go down the bay then up the River to Cambridge but my neighbor is telling me to cut through Knapps Narrows because its shorter and more scenic. Any intel on this route?
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Hi Steve, for the lights, I'll second CX(or the like) but also suggest a little emry paper to scuff off the heavy stuff. I did that on my bow lights 3-5 yrs ago and they still work.

As far as the trip to Cambridge, I'd say if you got all day to get there and want a senic trip the take the narrows way. I think it may be a little longer than sticking to the bay proper.

I'd just stick to the bay proper and channels mostly so as to avoid the shaols and crab pots.

Either way, it beats chasing wires in a cramped space.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Steve-

With the electric stuff, just start going through it with a voltmeter, and trace your way back or front to the problem. Like Rawleight said, electric at the bulb? Electric at the switch? Etc.

When I go to Oxford or Cambridge, I usually run teh Poplar Island Straights and then Knapps Narrows. Its a nice ride, the Narrows is a nice cruise through at idle, and its shorter mileage-wise and you'll save a little fuel. Plus, there's a workboat dock just on the west side bridge and looking south that has about the cheapest fuel on the Bay. If your boat cruises under 25 knots, running the Narrows is a little quicker--if you can run above that, its a little quicker to avoid the Narrows and run around the south end of Tilghman. Have fun. If you decide to run the Poplar Island Straights, and want to strecth your legs or get reasonably cheap fuel, stop by Lowe's Wharf marina opposite the north end of Poplar Island. Neat place.

John F.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

The Hyatt @ Cambridge is a great destination. They have three pools a couple of restaraunts etc. I run around the tip of Tihlman rather than cut through. It gets shallow around those straights fast so I stick to the channels. Best of luck with the wiring. The lights in the bow chock are hard to keep operational-especially if you are constantly putting the bow into saltwater waves. Mine are up on the house sides.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Geez--guys that live on the Bay and worry about shallow water and crab pots?

We've been to the Hyatt a few times. Doug's right--nice place and a great destination with wife. The restaurants are expensive with mediocre food though.