Eiremar Performance Results and Thanks to All!!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Vince Luciani

Eiremar Performance Results and Thanks to All!!!!

Post by Vince Luciani »

All I can say is “WOW”! I finally had my performance inspection by Cummins on Monday (7/2). Everything checked out perfect and was well within the Cummins specs. The inspection was very thorough. The technician installed gauges and temperature sensors at several locations and monitored other components with a heat gun throughout the test. He checked exhaust backpressure and temperature, boost pressure, water pressure at raw water pump inlet, temperature of ambient air and temperature on air at the air filter. The test started at idle (600 rpm) and a full set of readings were recorded at 200 rpm increments up to wide open (2850 rpm).

I don’t have all the numbers because he hasn’t sent me the sheet yet. But, here are some of the ones that are most impressive:

RPM SPEED
600 5.5 kts
2000 23 kts
2850 31.8 kts

I will post more complete results when I get them.

Hey Bruce, the tech did check the ambient versus intake air temperatures. Ambient was 72 degrees and intake was 84 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised.

My props are 3-blade, nibral 21”x 23” with medium cup. I had full tank of fuel and three men on the boat. Something that is interesting is that after I installed my deck and side panels, etc., my boat sits about 3 inches higher in the water than before the repower. The new water line is about an inch or so below the chine. I will post some pictures. I did get rid of the teak deck and oak framing. Does that account for the weight loss?

Needless to say, I am thrilled with the performance and my installation. The boat performs much different than with those 4-53 Detroits. You can tell that the boat really wants that extra horsepower to perform properly. With the Detroits she always seemed to be in a semi-displacement type mode. Now she is up out of the water.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and guidance. I couldn’t have done this project without the assistance of this website and members. A lot of people question me on how I know how to complete such a project and I tell them about the network of owners who have shared their knowledge and experience openly on this site. Capt Patrick, if this was one of your visions when you formed this website, then you should be happy to see the fruition of your vision with completion of my project. I hope I can help some others in the future the way you guys helped me.

This repower project has been a dream/goal of mine since 1997 when I attended a fishing seminar put on by Saltwater Magazine. Yanmar was at one of the booths promoting their product. This was before they had the popularity they have now. Anyway, they had a brochure/writeup about the repower of a 31 Bertram (I believe they used 170 hp version). I brought that home a read it a million times. That was when the seed was planted (restoring an old classic with modern power). I’ve been sucking up every bit of information I could since that time. (Capt Pat, you can see I was one of your very early members of the site). It has been a lot of hard work, but it has also been fun and rewarding.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Great to hear...
Now I know a bunch of stone masons can do anything.
Wayne
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Well I know one thing Wayne, they are not afraid of hard work. They can fish too!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Congratulations! I love those numbers!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Congradulations Vince. Those are great numbers and I know she feels like a completely different boat. She more than likely feels so good at 31 kts you may be tempted to stay there! After all those 453's only had 2 speeds...stop and go.

Way to go, enjoy the fruits of your labors.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Thanks guys. Scot, I did install the water fitting to the stuffing box packing gland, but not the lantern ring. The tech checked my packing gland with a heat gun sensor after running at wide open and the temperature registered at 84 degrees. I was happy with that.
scot

Post by scot »

Our water is 84 degrees.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0