Battery placement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Battery placement

Post by Mikey »

Any reasoable reason I can't put the 8D's under the cabin floor? Trying to move weight forward and this would help.
Thanks, Guys . . . you too Timmy
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Capt. Mike Holmes

Batts

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Depends on how hard it is to get your cabin sole out for access, first. Mine is a bit difficult. Wouldn't want to need to get in there offshore with a boatload of people. Also, there are ventillation considerations, and potential height of water in the bilge to ponder. When mine was gas, I had the batts under the aft dinette seat on the port side, but two 8D's on the same side would lean the boat to port. I started with 4D's, no real need for 8's. Now I have two group 27 batteries on each engine, mounted under the cockpit sole between the engines. Easy access, vents good, got them on a platform up out of the bilge. The lighter batteries are about all my back can handle. although I've thought of going back to 4D's.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If your using wet cell batteries I would not.
They need to be in a well ventilated area due to off gassing.
nic

Post by nic »

When we repowered we moved batteries from under the cabin sole floor to a shelf high under aft deck outboard of the fuel tank. Where they were was damp, sweating under there, were subject to a lot of movement in a head sea plus were low (ish) in the bilge.

Interested to know why you are wanting to move fixed weight forward, I thought with deep-vees it was the other way round.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i used 4 glass mat pc2150-s odyssey . two for house and isolated,one for each engine also isolated all isolated from each other both under battery charge and thru each alternator.side by side in alzak battery boxes .each battery has the output of 8d flood style
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Nic,
Since repower and bigger fuel tank she sits even more bow proud than usual (expresses do that). The chine at the stern is about 1 1/2" under water. She starting to have that hiena look, ala 28's. Not cool. Ain't never been accused of draggin ass, don't want to start here. If I bring the bow down and the stern up she will ride a bit better.
Bruce,
If I use the glass mat bats will I solve the off gassing?
Bob,
If Bruce says yes to the previous question how much more are those than the wet cells? How much better are they?
Tanks, Gang
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: I've had a pair of AGM Orbital batteries in my boat for six years. They are still going strong. They are sealed and do nor offgas. Of gassing of lead acid batteries because of a charger problem is what corroded all of the hardware in my cabin (even with the batteries betwen the engines). I'll never go back! Price wise they are about double the cost. Be sure to get the Deepcycle/Starting ones and a charger that has an AGM setting.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31