Waterspouts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Waterspouts

Post by Kevin »

Yesterday was a busy day for waterspouts here in Marathon. Me and one of the guys I work with were just off Duck Key and saw a spout not more than a mile or so from our boat. Naturally, we nailed the throttles and sat down about a 1/8 mile from it. There was no rain on on the side we were watching it from. I wish we had a camera with us, it was impressive to look up at this thing. We decided we should get closer since we could not here anything. No freight train through a trailer park sound. We cruised up to about 150 feet from the outside of it as it decreased in strength. The top part of the funnel was still very well defined. The disturbance on the surface of the water was probably only about 40 feet wide.

We sat idle for a minute of two just looking. We turned and looked at each other and said "@#ck it, let's go through it." So that we did at about 35 knots. We did not even get that wet. I have heard stories of not stitch of dry clothing form those that had done it in the past. I figure the cross wind when we went through it was maybe 40. I guess that was a little one compared to the ones that were around Marathon about 45 minutes later.

Yes, we found the other bigger spouts and watched them from a distance. From about a half mile we watched one pass right by the north side of coast gaurd station marathon and into a trap yard and marina. There was debris in the air at least 300 feet up. Didn't quite have the balls to go through that one...maybe next time. The pics in the linc below were taken by the wife as she was on her way to the store in the car. I think it was the same spout as the one we watched hit the trap yard. If I know any better she was driving, taking picures, and most likely talking on the cell phone all at the same time. Now that you all know I lack common sense, feel free share your stories. enjoy the pics

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z170/1kevinmehegan/
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

kevin
all i have to say is you have bigger balls then me, god bless you
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Kevin,
Think you and the bride have death wishes. Just because they weaken doesn't mean they won't restrengthen.
Glad I looked at the pix. Saw exactly what to do with my exhaust. You have moved them outboard of the outer stringers, eh?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Chris Pague had a brush with one up here. I think i will give them a wide berth! How are the Steyrs doing? What kind of numbers are you seeing now that you have some time on them?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Kevin: What do you and your buddy do for a living to allow storm chasing on a Monday? I'm gealous. My only fortune is to be able to read about it here at work. Now I've seen a lot of water spouts here off of the Louisiana and Mississippi coasts, but that shot your wife got looks like a medium sized tornado. Take care out there.

Eddy G.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Kevin your a mad man! Thank God you were in a Bertram.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I want to know how many beers he had before making that decision!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

The old saying "if you aren't living on the edge you're taking up too much room" seem's to apply.

Kevin-saw your boat in Lauderdale with Timmy but dont remember those coaming pads- look mighty nice did you make them ? were they muy expensivo ?
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Kevin,

I know of fisherman which I want mention any names that use to Marlin fish behind waterspouts because of the noise it would make in the water, it would sometimes draw billfish up to it. But I don't recommend doing it,
you might be in a Bertram, BUT!

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Doug,
The old saying "if you aren't living on the edge you're taking up too much room" seem's to apply.
Da bes yet. Got to tat that to my life.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Mikey is starting to repeat himself. But to all that may be normal.

My experence was with a storm I thought I could out run but I must have had a strock of bad luck and ran back into it. I was a wind shear and I would not want to do that over.

Fair Winds Chris
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Another buddy just sent me the latest pic that was taken. The picture is so cool I wonder if it has been enhanced. Still not sure who took it.

Mikey- I thought that is where the exhaust was on all the 28's. I did not move it, just made it bigger.

Rawleigh-Steyr's are great. No regrets on spending all my money on them. Yes I am poor and the reason why will be answered later. 1.7 to 2.0 nautical miles per gallon seems to be the norm. The faster and heavier I go the better the milage. When I figure out how the hell that is possible I will let you all know.

Eddy-Marine Patrol, and that is why I am poor.

Brewster- Was not in a Bertram. You would laugh if I told you what kind of boat I was in. I will give you a hint, Don Aronow (spelling?) does not build them any more. I think bayliner bought them out.

Rawleigh- If my boss knew I was drinking on duty he would pissed. That was a joke just in case my boss reads this stuff.

Doug- I think the pads went on couple weeks later. Had a local guy make them for me. They were about 500 "because he knew me". Not sure what they normally cost to be honest with you.

DQ- fishing behind one may be a little chaotic as far as rigging baits go. I have a tough time catching fish when it is flat calm!

Chris- was your compass broken?

Well today we found a boat idling north of Duck Key with no one in it. Searched most of the day and found nothing. Guess we'll find him when he pops up.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Kevin,
Mine's a 31. Forgot your African animal is a 28. Moving my exhaust outboard and trying to visualize the result. Got it!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Kevin, Great shots but your a nutty guy. Man that takes some #%&@*. I just stay as far away from them as possible. Sounds like that was the other day. We had a pretty big one off Ft. Myers Beach but I don't grab the camera anymore. Us old guys seen so much. I missed your 28 at Hawks Cay. I seen and met you after my 6 hour run but missed the 28B. Nice job and you will have a blast with the boat and have the ability to run it without having to take passengers like me. I get 1.1 nautical MPG on my B31 but it weighs 18,000 lb wet and has a high profile as you seen. Mine was an Air Force boat originally. Looks like we maybe neighbors soon. I'll tell you about it later. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Buju

Post by Buju »

Kevin,
I didn't know you were "the man". You guys gearing up for mini-season? It's gotta be FWC's busiest time of the year, in Monroe Co. anyways... Bet you've also got some crazy stories. I'd personally love to bust some of the guys who limit out, run home and unload their bugs, and go back out and do it all over again, and again. Greedy bastards.

Capt. Kosh,
You moving down this way?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yeah, I guess I still have a wild side. Moving down here huh? Make sure you buy a big house so I can rent the downstairs enclosure....make sure its on the water too! Moving again, rent is going up to 1800 bones and that is without a dockspace!

yeah it will be busy. the first couple years was a lot of fun because it was new to me. The couple years after that were not as exciting because it seemed like babysitting job with all the boating accidents and people fighting over cockroaches of the sea. Now I have learned it not about just waving the flag, it is finding that one person that you are speaking about and slapping the bracelets on him. If they do not speak english it makes it that much easier because I do not understand all the yammering. Just put myself in my quiet place and fill out some paperwork. the anonymous tip line for you keys guys is 305 481 0253.......hint hint, that is my number.
Buju

Post by Buju »

How far north do you patrol? Long Key area?

I've got noooo problem making that call, seen it happen too many times for too many years.

dialing *FWC will also do the job on my cell, right?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Buju, work from 7 mile bridge to card sound. not sure about the *fwc. lots of changes have been made over the years. *fmp use to work till about 3 years ago and not sure if they replaced it with another one. give me a call anytime. We still do housecalls!
RussP

Post by RussP »

Yesterday Linda & I decided to run out to 2200' and look for Marlin & Wahoo trying to avoid the bonehead (Bonito) bite. We set a spread of high speed Black Bart Wahoo lures and were chugging along around 17 knots getting close to the St Lucie Humps when the weather started closing in. Two big thunder storms popped up with a nice hole in-between that I planed on running through. As we approached the gap I realized it was closing in fast but I was still intent on getting on the other side of the storms. Linda was down below when I watched a funnel form on the front approaching from the south just as it was combining with it's northern buddy. Holy S@#t! I got Linda’s attention as it became a full fledge tornado at sea. It looked like something you would see in Kansas and the water kicked up provided 0 visibility. Linda being the level headed captain put on a inflatable life vest and made me come about & run. Because I had 3 brand new high dollar Black Barts off the back I made a slow turn to the south and ran 20 miles to Jupiter to get away from the storm. I would have loved to seen what it's like but 20 miles out in 1000' of water and doing it for fun didn't seem prudent. Maybe next time. Just another chapter in our adventures at sea.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

OK Kevin. I'll let you know when it gets close. Are you a Coastie or FWC officer? Met some nice Rangers at Dry Tortugas 2 years ago . They must of thought I was a wacko as I dove down to get some line off my port prop in my skivvies. They were just checking but showed me where to fish in the park area. Dave K
Keep Fishing...