Steering failure.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt Dick Dean

Steering failure.

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

The hynautic 50 went down in a high speed stbd turn coming thru some rough white water in Jones Inlet, Long Island. I could feel the pressure on the system and then I felt a pop and then nothing. Pumping the system back up to 25 lbs dockside, it went down to zero in an hour. The fluids' in the bilge.

Where should I start to look? There is a second helm on the tower.

P.S. For the steering fluid West Marine gets 14.99US for a quart; the auto store 4.95US(Dextron ll or lll).
A/K/A El Gaupo
RussP

Post by RussP »

Dick, I would start by checking the piston seals then the fittings. You may need someone to turn the wheel to find the leak. If all fittings and piston look good start looking at any possiable areas where the lines may be chaffed. I'm assuming you have plastic lines not the old copper tubing.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Dick,
You just have to pop hatches and look for the leak. I would start at the cylinder.

While ATF works, steering fluid is much better for the system and will result in easier wheel movement if the system is set up properly.
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Capt. Dick if you have a small craft airport near they usually have a store.

You can pick up hyd. fluid there, it will be less than Worst Marine. Which as Bruce said is better than using ATF.

My 2 cents
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Dick,
Freeport Marine Supply carries the stuff- I bought a quart and put it on the boat as one of those hocus pocus maintenance deals.....if I put it on the boat it won't break.
It's worked so far
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.