Capt. Ernest in action!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mike Holmes

Capt. Ernest in action!

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

The new (July) issue of Southern Boating has a picture of hyena boat captain Ernest with one of his winning dolphin in the UVII a few years ago off Port Eads. - page 109.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

You obviously meant "second place dolphin". When it's called the UEI he can win.

Nice article tho Mike. Also floating around on the net today is a youtube video of our own Kipp Creed with his outboard powered B31 Targeted Species fishing off Port Eads last weekend by a drill ship with one of his crew reeling in a blackfin tuna and a big blue marlin eating it at the transom.....lottla jumps, boatside action, they tagged it. Good job, Kipp.

I don't know how to post that kind of link, so if someone does I can forward them the email with the link.

Ernesto the Hyena Boy will be vying for second again at the UVI 7 in Panama shortly. Talked to the Surgeon General today and he's bringing a special custom rod he built to raffle off to keep the bar tab above water, and I hear Randall is bringing some of his stuff too.

See you guys Friday in the Rebublic of Panama.

UV
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

The history, as I understand it, is that Senior Ernesto, also know as the "Amatuer Captain" in navigable waterways in the South, crewed as part of the 2nd place finishing Geaux Deep Team in year 2, finished dead last on the ill fated voyage made the basis of the article in year 3, rebounded to a record setting 2nd place finish with Team Hyena in year 4, and crewed a Team Hyena Blackfin for a 3rd place finish (narrowly edged out by Tiara run by the Surgeon General) in year 5, before the venue moved to more Southernly locales.

As a disinterested observer, I can only surmise from this detailed track record of sucess that it must have been a co-captain problem in the year of the article. Plus, most years, Senior Ernesto just threw back those dolphin cause he was focused on actually winning the event.

Again, this is just what I heard. Some of it may well be legend or myth. For example, I have even heard stories that Senior Ernesto is some sort of fish whisperer who thru other worldly powers wills the fish to come into the spread and attack a lure. Now, I personally don't believe that, but the one thing I am sure of is, you live, you die, but no blacksheep ever placed at a UVI.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Here's the Targeted species link... Viva la Panama!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc0kor7GLKw
Viva la Presidente!
randall

Post by randall »

didnt quite get the raffle piece made...maybe next year ..am bringing a tropic star wall calander...not sure whats gonna happen to it.....maybe they'll want to sell it in the store or someone will buy it and help me pay for the trip......or ill bring it home and put it in a gallery and no one will have any idea what it it is....which is always cool
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Great video.
In Memory of Vicroy

Those 8# blackfins are marlin candy. Like they do at TSL, but they use bigger ones down there, and on purpose vs. an accident. You gotta fish where they live, and must be present to win.....

UV
Capt. Mike Holmes

Ernest in action

Damn! help a guy on his boat, flatter him, put his picture in a magazine - with his name - and get trash talk in return. I honestly though we were given second place that year, but I was cleaning fish when the awards ceremony took place.
In Memory of Vicroy

Mike, you didn't miss much....the awards ceremony at the UVI is pretty short.

UV
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

At leat the part your able to rember.
how about another verse of red neck romance???
In Memory of Vicroy

Timmy, you and me need to meet for another Fatal Shot contest....I still have a bottle in the freezer at the camp. Sorry you will miss TSL, no one to loan clothes to.

UV
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Learned my lesson , thuddddddddddddd is no match for the crafty lawyer man.

Would love to have made this one. Situation doesn't allow. Great seeing you at the St paddy thing. You got a fine looking family.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Mike, I was just messing with you, and our dead last finish that year.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Last?????

Ernest, I knew you were, just jerking back. As I remember, although we didn't catch any billfish, we did really well in the dolphin/wahoo division, and also lost far fewer lures in the kingfish mini-tourney than did our only competitor. It was a great, great trip, regardless. No breakdowns, either. Lil' Bert proved it's mettle, both fishing and on the run over - and back! We also gave Randal valuable training as a fishing boat handler.
randall

Post by randall »

paid off i guess ..since i was drivin the boat when marshal and randy caught that tuna.......and ernest was the only other UVI participant foolish enough to even go out
Capt. Mike Holmes

Ernest

There ya go!
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Uncle Vic - these guys are making up new divisions. I think you need to remind them:

The UVI don't have a women's division.
The UVI don't have a blind man's division.
The UVI don't have a dolphin division.
And, the UVI damn sure don't have any divisions associated with the capture of cat food (kings macks).

I would respectfully suggest they are undermining the longest winning streak in the history of sports with these made up divisions.

Whats next - Rawleigh claiming he caught more crabs than the dock boy that one night?

Its one division and one division only.
randall

Post by randall »

did however ,for one year anyway , have a surfing division..UV aint gonna win that one
In Memory of Vicroy

Randall, I did give you a strong second in the surfing division last year, but not sure we will have it again. Like most things associated with this esteemed international event, it all depends....

As Hyena Boy aptly points out, the Rules Committee strives to maintain the integrity of the tournament. Any erosion of strict adherence to the Rules will just result in another broke dick fishing tournament where cheating prevails vs. the UVI where everything is on the up and up. I mean, the very suggestion that the UVI would have a cat food division is pure heresy. Due to some moaning about the Rules Committee being just me, I've decided to expand it to five persons this year:

1. Uncle Vic
2. Uncle Vic
3. Uncle Vic
4. Uncle Vic
5. Uncle Vic

The Committee will meet in the swimming pool at TSL each afternoon at 5 pm sharp to conduct Rules hearings unless its raining, then in the bar. Any requests for Rules decisions must be presented, in writing and properly notarized, at least seven (7) days prior to the hearing, and presented with the required filing fee, in cash. The filing fee will be determined by the Committee based on the number of attendees and the estimated bar tab.

Did I make myself clear?

UV
Capt. Mike Holmes

Clear

Or MAKE yurself a clear!!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Ernest, you finally found something I probably could win!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Garry

Post by Garry »

UV,

This will make 7 straight UVI wins plus the win at the inaugural Cx Invitational. Adding the Cx Tourney doubles the fun and doubles you win's....I see double figures soon for the longest winning streak in major sports history.

You guys going to TSL have fun and be safe.

Garry