Dinette seat removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JGomber

Dinette seat removal

Post by JGomber »

Guys,
It isn't even the peak summer run yet but I'm planning winter projects. These boats are an addiction!
I have to replace all of the Nautilex floor covering in the cabin and don't want to do a patch job under the dinette table. So, the seats have to come out for complete access.
Can anyone give me an idea of how they are attached and removed? Oh, yeah, once detatched, will they fit through the cabin door to gey 'em out of the way?
Thanks
Jerry, Triton II
John F.

Post by John F. »

I took the dinette out on my '69 B31 FBC winter of 2004-2005. As I remember, the fore and aft dinette seat things were attached to the floor with screws that were totally corroded. The seats assemblies themselves were made of plywood nailed together with ring-shank nails, then covered with Formica. I took mine apart with a sawzall and a 5-pound hammer--same way I'm taking out my windows this winter.

John F.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

The seats are attached as John said with bronze screws that may or may not still exist. i remeber prying in a few places and the just snapped. The dinette seat will pass through the doorway intact. I took mine out painted them and put them back with stainless screws.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hey Jerry,

Can I buy the two drawers from you (the ones beneath each seat) if they are in decent shape? Good luck with your project.

Tommy
Island Girl
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Jerry,

oops, now that I've re-read your post I see that you are removing the dinette so you can replace your Nautilex, and I assume re-install. Sorry, I jumped the gun.

Tommy
Harry Babb

Under seat drawers

Post by Harry Babb »

Hi Tommy,
I have gutted my cabin and I do not intend to reuse the drawers. My boat is a 31 Express, I assume that the drawers are the same on the other models. I will go to the river tomorrow and if they have not been damaged or thrown out I will be willing to part with them. As I remember from several months back the seat drawers were in pretty good shape. Everything else was trashed.
Harry Babb
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Harry,

Thanks for your post, that would be great. I'm thinking about removing my small refrigerater on Island Girl ('73 SF) and replacing with drawers or cabinets. I believe the dinette setup was the same on all the models except the Bahia Mar. I will be glad to pay you or make a contribution to the website. Standing by,

Tommy
Harry Babb

Dinette seat drawers

Post by Harry Babb »

Tommy,
My 31 Express is a 66 model. I have owned the boat for about a year and half now. The interior was a wreck and had not been touched in 40 years. I removed the refrigerator but had to take out the Port Bulkhead to get it out of the cabin. (Later thought that I could have cut it up to remove it. The original fridge ran off of a compressor mounted in the engine room, Port side. The compressor had been removed from the boat years ago. I am in the process reworking the cabin area, installing an air conditioner and water heater. I will eventually get to a point where I can comfortabaly spend a weekend on the boat. I am headed to the river now will contact you later.
Harry Babb