Ankerplex

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Ankerplex

Post by Yannis »

Does anyone have hands on experience with the Ankerplex anchor?
This anchor solves the storing problem of the second anchor. If it’s any good at what it does, that is.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Re: Ankerplex

Post by Carl »

Interesting anchor...I like and may consider one of those as my spare/lunch hook. Although not a fan of having to assemble if in a rush, then again my spare/lunch hook is lighter with less chain so not the best backup but great for the beach or to just have if I ever had to cut the main off.

So to answer your question Yannis...No, I have no experience with it.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Haha, right to the point Carl!

No, I mean if you go out to lunch and you know you will need it, preassemble it!
Then, after its use, you can stow it anywhere.

It exists in alu and SS. I wonder which could be better. And better priced too.

I have the aluminum fortress as a spare, with thick 8mm, 3m chain, so Im not spending more money on another anchor.
This fortress is sometimes almost impossible to take up after it’s been dug in the sand. Super anchor. But takes up a lot of space on deck.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes the Danforth style anchor (Fortress) can dig in real good. Often I have to get right on top and cleat off letting the boat do the work of pulling it out. If rough I may go upstream to pull it out. Some of them ( may not be the Fortress) also have an option of shackling main line to back of anchor and zip tie or mono fishing line to main connection point...good for bottoms the anchor may foul in debris, rock etc. Just get on top and zip tie breaks off, and up she comes backwards. Of course you do not want that for overnight or to hold in a storm.

I would have no issue assembling the anchor last minute for beach or lunch anchoring. My apprehension is using as a backup in an emergency...losing power around a jetty with a heavy current, needing to toss ASAP to keep off rocks..been there two boats ago. I like to think I am cool and collected under stress, but trying to assemble in times like that I see as a weak point. Yes, I could practice till I could assemble in my sleep, but still all one needs to do is drop the shackle pin and its over.

All that said...Yannis, I believe the Fortress anchors can be disassembled as well.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

There are a few screws on them, but I thought they were meant to modify the angle of the anchor shaft in relation to the anchor main body to better suit varying rope lengths(?)...hadn’t thought that they could serve for anchor dismantling.
But then again, you have to keep the screws somewhere and not lose them...plus that screwdriver...
I keep mine in a large oval shaped laundry basket from ikea that I stow under the mermaid bench...
Carl

Post by Carl »

I believe my Fortress Anchor came assembled.

The first fortress I saw was for a 92' Sportfisherman that had to be put together on the foredeck out at the canyon, some 110 miles out. Not alot of fun in the dark walking a deck 10' over the water without railings, at least it wasn't rough. I didn't get to have fun assembling as I was helping prep the line.

Anyway, it came in a big bag, was assembled and went back in bag afterwards.

The big joke was how heavy the light Aluminum anchor was...

I can't remember why they didn't use the main anchor...maybe too deep or didn't want to lose or I just have no clue...many many moons ago.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

A 92’ boat usually has space for many such anchors, so I cant really tell why they went through all this ordeal.
But then again, why do I have to explain everything? Lol!

One other thing about this fortress I have, which was offered to me by a friend who sold his boat - I can’t imagine myself spending such money for an anchor, let alone a second one - is that if you look at the table that links boat lengths to anchor size this one is at least one size smaller for my boat size...in other words even with such a smaller anchor the job is done because it is a very good design. BUT it hates rocks and uneven stoney bottoms because being aluminum it will bend if you pull hard to unstick it.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I want my back up anchor easy to reach and ready to go. So I don’t thing I’d ever want something that needs assembly.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

What is a back up anchor?
For me the second anchor is for when you dock bow-in so you need to drop an anchor from the stern. This is not something that you decide in the last minute so one should have a few seconds to assemble it.

Where would you need a second anchor for immediate employment? I cant think of any such occasion at least in the way we use our boats.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bad weather and you lose your main anchor the backuo anchor becomes pretty important
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Your main anchor line gets wrapped around a prop so you have to cut it away and have no propulsion.

Basically every pease of gear on the boat is for safety first.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

We don't have lines tied to anchors, only chain, no way it can snap or get in the prop.
Different worlds!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Anchor chain can fatigue and break.
Anchor chain can wear and break.
Anchor terminal tackle can work its way loose saying "sayonara" to the anchor.
Forgetting to attach bitter end will have you saying "avidazen" to the anchor.
Sticky fingers can cause an anchor to disappear.
Stuck anchor is not always retrievable.
Stuck anchor can get deformed with a good pull from wrong direction.

Backup anchor is the "Plan B" anchor.

Depending on how and where the boat is used a backup can be more of a 2nd hook luxury, not to run up and deploy main anchor, to life saving safety gear.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote: Jun 18th, '24, 09:12
Sticky fingers can cause an anchor to disappear.
gear.
In Greece, they would probably leave the anchor and take the boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Guys, we have to establish that boating practices are not the same everywhere…

I, too, lost an anchor while traveling because the swivel got loose and the anchor fell in the Aegean without my noticing. Upon arrival in Syros I asked my son to go forward and undo the anchor security shackle, at which point he said “what anchor”?
I doubt that the 15 seconds assembly time for the anchor in question would be of any significance at that point.

Lesson learned: never use a swivel and NEVER tie the anchor security shackle to the anchor shackle; always tie it to the anchor itself.

As for the rest of Carl’s list I never heard any such incident ever occurring…Tony found fertile grounds to pull my leg and build on “phantasia” which I enjoy, as an example I may say that we never take the keys off the ignition in the car or the bike, as stealing cars and bikes is unknown. In the islands that is, in Athens it’s different, but who steals boats or boat anchors?

If this Ankerplex is any good as an anchor, the least of my concerns would be the few seconds necessary to assemble it, compared to the time retrieving a second anchor from the bilge or any other hidden location which will take more time for sure.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis- From what your saying the practice and reasons for the 2nd anchor are similar.

If one becomes gone or less then useful you have a 2nd anchor on hand. Having it handy, ready to deploy in a fair amount of time is important. Am I wrong? The actual particulars may change, but same thought process.

Then there are times a 3rd anchor is needed...holding to rock, wreck or fouling structure the grappling hook/anchor. That may not be a need for you. then again if you anchor in rocky areas.

huh...now I'm thinking of some of the cruisers/loopers we see...some carry the danforth/fluke style, a plow Bruce anchor for different kinds of bottom. Me...I've pretty much only used danforth and grappling hooks for fishing around lighthouses n stuff to fish.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

At least we can all still share a chuckle.

I carry a lighter Danforth anchor with a length of chain when only using the boat in depths 50 feet or less. If I was going offshore or into deeper water near shore, I would pull out the heavier anchor. The Danforth works fine 80% of the time. The issue I have with it is that in some spots in the bay the eel grass is so thick you struggle to get it hold. That is where the plow anchor comes in handy.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I have the Delta. Most have either deltas or some danforth variant.

Needless to say I carry a quite hefty pair of iron scissors, packed in a carton with grease… you better have one when you need it…
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: Jun 19th, '24, 22:16 Needless to say I carry a quite hefty pair of iron scissors, packed in a carton with grease… you better have one when you need it…

OK Yannis, I did a search on iron scissors coming up with everything from kiddy snips, haircut clips, paper scissors, shears to metal snips. Maybe a bolt cutter? but packed in grease?

You got me...

So whats an iron scissor and why does it need to be packed in grease.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, I came back from the bar restaurant and just saw your comment, I’m laughing alone in the cabin!!!
(Forgot to say I splashed and left to the islands)

I thought that this pair of scissors that is around 50cm long that cuts rebar and bolts and anchor chains would be called iron scissors ! if not you tell me!

Why packed in grease? So that it doesn't rust and remain sharp for when you need it, you may be carrying it along for years and never use it, so grease, carton wrap and all in a plastic bag. Under the port bed below the ropes that are either spares or special ropes that are seldom used.

Shears sounds like an ok word too!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Gotcha, understood.

Here they go by the name Bolt Cutters. Supersized cutter with a compound mechanism to multple the cutting force several times, will cut chain links like a hot knife through butter. Yes, storing in grease or rust preventative makes sense.

Here, it’s the knife that needs to be handy to slice an anchor line or similar in an emergency. Like I said before, we do and need the same things even though they are different.

Good to hear your splashed n off at the Islands…enjoy
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Here they go by the name «ψαλίδι σιδήρου»!
Not knowing the english equivalent I googled it and it gave me this bizarre “iron scissors”. What can I do…

Yes, I left after a winter of many issues like turbos, new solar panels, torn down flybridge arc, dismantled wheel and instrument panel, plus the ordinary service etc…

As I was cruising I noticed the rear bilge pump working hard and almost continuously…had my friend drive and went down, opened a few hatches and saw the starboard shaft packing bringing in a fountain of water!
Stoped the boat, water still getting in but much less, grabbed the rear part of the gland and moved it back and forth a few times…water stopped coming in, started the boat again, no more water intrusion.
What was it and why it happened I have no idea.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I just bought a small fortress with 6ft of stainless chain and 100 ft of line. Fits under the deck of the vberth. Light and easy mostly as an emergency back up or for easy anchoring in 5 feet of water for a swim.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Pete, do you have a windlass?
For me the easiest anchoring for a swim is to let a few meters of chain. Now you guys have rope on the main anchor, I dont know how that works with a windlass…
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

No windlass. I have a fortress on deck with chocks, I just have one of the kids bump it in and out of gear and I retrieve by hand.