Replacement Seals for Engine Boxes and Deck Hatches

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kscheben

Replacement Seals for Engine Boxes and Deck Hatches

Post by kscheben »

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a source for the right material to replace the engine box and deck hatch seals on my 1986 28 Bahia Mar. They are both starting to give up the ghost and I'm having a devil of a time trying to locate a supplier of suitable replacement material. My apologies in advance if this has come up before but until the search feature comes back online I thought it would be OK to ask.

Ken
Babylon, NY
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Ken: Check out this company's offerings:
http://www.cleanseal.com/products.htm
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

:shock: Rawleigh you never fail to amaze me...your data base for boat oriented, general marine stuff is unequaled.

Oh by the way, I order more giant erasers. They work so well that you hooked on them, and then it's gone....so you have to buy more. Why didn't I think of that.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I just squirell them away when I see them Scot! God help me if my computer harddrive ever dies!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I wonder, should I consider sealing the deck and engine hatches on my B28? I guess it would keep water out of the bilge, but then dirt would accumulate even faster in the recesses. Plus it might conceivably cut airflow to the engines. Possibly reduced engine noise is the only real advantage I'd be looking for, probably put this job pretty low on my list...
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

What ? theres supposed to be seals on that stuff ?
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
kscheben

Post by kscheben »

Thanks guys. I was able to locate some neoprene material pretty similar to the original seals. Believe it or not, I finally found what I was looking for on eBay!

Ken
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Seals? What?

A proper B28 should display a definite rub mark on the rear lip of the engine hatch where the edge of the hatch cover has rubbed thru the gelcoat and into the fiberglass. Its that hint of green which is the true mark of a well loved Hyena.

While we are on the topic, the operator of said vessel should also be wearing sacrificial calf guards, constructed of duct tape, to avoid the bench seat "rash."
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Ken, I'd be curious to know if the seals do anything to cut engine noise. A B28's kind of a small boat for those Cummins diesel I have, and they come right up to the hatches so I can't add any sound proofing there.
kscheben

Post by kscheben »

Steve,

Is there any clearance available at all between the engines and the hatches? The link below is for the product I'm going to test out. It is only 1/8 inch sheet thickness and the guy also carries it in 1/16 if you're REALLY tight. I figure for $20, it's hard to go wrong. Haven't received it yet so I can't tell you how it will work out or the impact it has on sound deadening. My Crusader 5.7 Liter EFIs aren't really that loud so sound insulation was not my reason for buying it.

Ken

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-8-NEOP ... QQtcZphoto