Panama

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hyena Love

Panama

Post by Hyena Love »

OK guys. We are getting real close to lift off here.

Now, remind me what we all said last year. It went something like this "Next year, I am going to be sure to bring ____________." In association with this, we all said "Next year, I am going to leave ________ at home."

For the life of me, I just can't remember what I brought last year that was surplus and what was lacking.

Many thanks in advance, and I look forward to seeing y'll in a less than two weeks.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Leave the long pants and shoes at home, bring just shorts & sandals. They wash your stuff on Tuesday and Thursday, Andre' tells me they will wash your stuff every day, but he was on another tip deal than us.. Bring a light rain suit top and some flip flops for the pool deck, its slippery Mexican tile when wet, and stuff is wet down there a lot. Couple of hats, a baseball one or visor for when its cloudy and a wide brim one when its sunny. The Prof had the best hat by far - made him look like a movie star.

I'll probably bring 50% less than last year. You smokers (I done quit) they sell no cigs at the lodge, just cuban cigars so bring your own.....oh yeah, they don't have hair dryers in the rooms, but those few of us with hair, you can dry it on the window a/c unit quick.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

i guarantee you that the NY contingent will bring less fishing equipment....we could have opened a sporting goods store with what hank brought....but i still need my little spinning rod to fish from the kayak......dont forget the sun screen
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

And don't let Hank talk to the check in girls at the airport, or You'll need to get your clothes from the local hyena boy. Tony hawks rules. so do the fornicate insurance t-shirts that I had to glomm.
randall

Post by randall »

i figure all things considered we were ucky to get on the plane at all
randall

Post by randall »

that would be....lucky
In Memory of Vicroy

Oh yeah, forgot this one, bring a little flashlight, the LED ones would be the best since it gets dark there at about 6:15 pm every day, the equator or something makes it do that they say. Dinner is at 7 or so, and its dark when you have to get back to your room, even tho they have good ground lights. Many of us stay on the veranda and watch the dark get darker, or watch the rain. The waiters stay and take care of us as long as we want to stay......"Senor Richard, dos Cuba Libre' por favor".

The Coffee Man comes at 5:30 am with a soft knock on your door and after the first morning he knows exactly how you want your little demitasse cup of good local coffee fixed. A shot of Capt. Morgan's in the coffee is a good start to a great day........Breakfast at 6, get on the B31s at 6:30 and off we go......two cases of ice cold Panama beer on board, your lunch in the blue cooler, not a bad way to spend some days of our limited lives. The capt. and mate are your best friends after 30 seconds, nicest people on earth. When they found out we are B31 people it just made it better.

Fish big time, sails, marlin, mahi, tuna, roosters, you name it, they have it, and back at the dock at 3:30. Swimming pool time is 4 to 6, bar by the pool, the bar guys hand you drinks in the pool, all the pool glasses are clear Lexan. The Surgeon General is bringing umbrellas for the red drinks again, now a UVI tradition.

In my view the TSL is the best value in the world for B31 people who like to fish. I hope to do the UVI back at PE again sometime, but I will continue to go to the TSL until I'm too feeble to get there, and then maybe get some of the young buck guys to haul me around. TSL is indeed the finest fishing lodge in the world, about 5 cuts above first class.

UV
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Can't wait.
Timster, you're too much. You should be grateful.
UV- you almost killed me this PM without even being there or knowing about it. I went to the boat shed. Your dead pine tree lost it's top and hit right where I was parked 5 seconds before in the storm that hit (including a tornado close by)today. I moved because my son Nathan looked out his window and said "look at that dead tree UV so negligently left standing sway in this wind!" so I backed up out of reach and "Bam" it fell right then! Would've gone right thru my roof w/a 10" log.
Maybe my luck's changing.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Mack

Post by Mack »

UV- At 40, I am no young buck, but would be glad to wheel you down the dock on future TSL trips (and I haven't even been there yet!).

Wife reminded me the other day that I better start the upper body exercises because "my ass is gonna be whooped" at the end of each day. Some people like to sit on the beach during their vacation (I can do it for about a half day)...I am looking forward to being beat each day from endless hook ups...
Tom

Post by Tom »

For the guys that went last year and not this year, I'll really miss y'all...for a few minutes at least. Doc will clearly be missed more than Thuuddd. Really, I wish all could repeat this year.

I vow this year to take part in Andre's TSL massage mistress. Hyena Love's shoulder rubs were adequate last year, but its time to move up a spot or two in the rotation.

I will leave the first nights massive UV-tini intake to someone more qualified. I hope the one handed surgeon general brings some more pocket rocket pills along with the umbrellas.

Ernest, we are leaving dawn Friday from Tiki for a test run for swords and marlin if you want to come with us. Back early Sunday to prepare for TSL. UV, thanks for including me again this year.
Viva la Presidente!
In Memory of Vicroy

Damn Andre' glad God's dead tree didn't hit you. The pine trees that are dead were killed by Hurricane Katrina, an Act of God, twisted them and some sort of bugs got in them after they were weakened. Guess I need to call my Bookie about this. I thinks I got in-show-ance for this. The Minister de Pollo has his bay boat trailer back in there too with my permission. Sounds like we need to go to Panama and let Mother Nature work this out.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I sure wish I was going back with you guys, but it wasn't to be!! Maybe its a good thing as the machine shop should be done with my engine Friday. I need to have it in and running by the 4th!! Good luck and "Bon voyagee", as Buggs would say!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mack

Post by Mack »

If you have access to Google Earth (free Google download) take a look at TSL. I had a chance to check it out last night and it really gives you a unique perspective (satillite shot) on the canal and the remote location of TSL.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Safe trip and una prima en la pesca a ustedes ese viaje a Panamá.

Hope to join you one day, and I will see those at Montauk in August.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Bruce,
Can I call you if I get in trouble? As a go-between, tranlator and negotiator (sniper) all in one?
I'll pay
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Andre,
I'm at your service.
Only one thing. I don't negotiate.

It's hard to carry on a dialog from 600 meters.

PS. Translation is one way at this point. My brain has a hard time processing an 80 mile/hr language. It takes me 1/2 hour to put together one sentence.

One thing I've learned, when in doubt about understanding, breaK out AJ, Ben and Grant to do the talking for me.

Well, I went home with the waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know
She was with the Russians, too

I was gambling in Havana
I took a little risk
Send lawyers, guns and money
Dad, get me out of this

I'm the innocent bystander
Somehow I got stuck
Between the rock and the hard place
And I'm down on my luck

Now I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan

Send lawyers, guns and money...
In Memory of Vicroy

Send the money first, the lawyers will follow, then we will find the guns.

Like the time the Bride lost her tourist card in Mexico and they would not let her on the plane to come home.....Asked the AA agent what we had to do to fix it...."Sir, there are 3 kinds of problems in Mexico, a $5 problem, a $10 problem, and a $20 problem". The Bride was in tears, so it was a $20 problem....folded a $20 bill up in my hand and the vacuum cleaner customs guy got it......Ya'll think Loooooziana is corrupt...

Now on the other hand, we go in and out of Panama with no problems...time, patience, and money work all the time, and being on a TSL deal helps a lot.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

UV.....sounds about right....caren , jesse (age 3) and me at the airport in mexico......senor,you must pay $60 dollars exit fee for your surfboard ..(unfortunatly only have 12 dollars in my pocket....left the money for long term parking locked in the car at kennedy)....go in the back room with the airport manager...explain the situation...give him the 12 bucks and go home............not bad ...it cost me 100 when i got caught smoking a joint in the san miguel trailer park...the mexican prime directive...no matter what it cost...pay off the first guy....NEVER let them take you in......i was younger then