31 questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

waggles02673

31 questions

Post by waggles02673 »

Hey guys. Well I met with my Surgeon and I have to undergo back surgery for a bulging disk pinching my sciatic nerve. With my past history of back problems he basically said he didn't want me taking a pounding on my Contender anymore. So to that end I am starting what could be a long search for a B31 or similiar boat. My questions are

-how much head room down below on a 31 FB? I am 6'2" and don't want to be hitting my head
-Is there enough room down below on a Bahia Mar for me, wife and 2 Labs to spend the ocassional overnight on? I like the one deck layout of the Bahia Mar and Express
-Boat needs to be diesel to get to the NE Canyons (90nm-100nm away) from Cape Cod. How much fuel will she need to hold?
-Budget is set up to around $100K so I should be able to find something.

If you know of any boats please let me know. In hind site when I repowered my old B28 I should have gone diesel.

Thanks in advance

Jon
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

Not a lot of head room anywhere in the 31.

Births, Bunks, head and galley must have been designed by a vertically challenged person. Being 5'10" I'm ok, but I always wished the birth was 3 inches longer. My feet hit the bulkhead and I can't truly stretch out while sleeping. Plenty of room left and right however.

I always feel bad for the tall guys that come out with me. Their knees are almost over the gunnels, and they have to duck just about everything when they take cover down below.

Also, Just because these boats don't fall apart, doesn't mean then don't pound. She's not a soft right in any type of head sea. Even a 1-3 head chop will rattle you silly at cruise.

Nothing like her with the sea behind, but yes her good looks go come with a price. I wouldn't be suprised if your 28 seemed bigger to you.

I've never been down below on a Bahia mar, so I can't speak for them.

For diesel canyon runs you'll need at least 225 gallons. This was stantard on a lot of the boats.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
MikeD
www.lightningshack.com
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Mike

Thanks for the info. I am also looking into the Blackfin 29' 32' but I love the lines of a 31. As for a pounding I don't think it will be anywhere as bad as my 27 Contender cruising at 35 knots coming back from a day of tuna fishing or Canyons.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Come over to the Bertram33 site if you would consider a 33' Convertable (Bertram calls it a Flybridge Cruiser). While it isn't a pure fishing boat like the 31 it has more headroom, and more cabin space (and a smaller cockpit) than the Bertram 33 Sportfish, and from the prices I have seen would probably cost no more than a B31. IMHO a diesel with reasonable engines would probably cost more than $100K if you don't want a project boat. There were several for sale in the $125-140K range the last time I looked seriously. If you want to talk more drop me an email at "IRGuy@aol.com".
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

waggles02673 wrote:Mike

Thanks for the info. I am also looking into the Blackfin 29' 32' but I love the lines of a 31. As for a pounding I don't think it will be anywhere as bad as my 27 Contender cruising at 35 knots coming back from a day of tuna fishing or Canyons.
Jon

sent you a pm

Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Carl

Post by Carl »

In the cabin it would be the 2 Labs or the two of you. Unless you are a REAL close family. I have an Express so I would think even less room in the Bahia Mar.

The up side is you can give the poochs the V-berth while you and the Mrs spend the night under the stars on that enormous cockpit deck. Spent a couple nights on the hook that way, not so much a room issue but it was just so georgous up the Hudson at night.

V-berth is short, however you can make up an insert to drop into the V-berth giving you lots of leg room.

I have canvas which is screened with rollup windows going to the rear of the motor box's, could always use that to extend cabin, poochs do like to sleep on engine box's.

Bottom line, cabins small but you can always figure something out if it is your boat of choice.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Cabin headroom is marginal for a 6-2 guy. Stock windows leak. Best bet is to fiberglass in the front windows, put tinted solid glass in the side windows, and a/c the boat with a genset.

As for the ride, with diesels probably the best of any boat in its size class, ever. In a head sea, just slow down to the "rocking chair" speed and your back will be fine. The B31 is far and away the best boat ever built in a following sea, like a train on rails, and that's real important vs. the round and flat bottom boats that will broach in a heartbeat.

Our B31s are very famous for a lot of reasons, the looks, the ride, the bullet proof construction.......and we fish them offshore day in and day out and they do not break. That is also real important. The 15 B31s they fish at Tropic Star 6 days a week, 10 months a year, year in and year out are all in perfect condition. Having a crappy boat is no fun.

I got an email from my son, Capt. Brent last night attaching a pix of a pretty B31 that one of his clients from the NE had sent, knowing Brent is fond of B31s......it was of the Sea Nile.....a small world.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

ha ha ...being 5 foot 6 does have certain advantages...watching charlie try to sleep on the fly bridge seat pretty much sumed it up.....and i almost never bang my head on the cabin roof
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Get the 31 Bertram! When you are crossing 40 fathoms after NOAA told you it was only going to be 3 to 5 and the wind is NE 20-25 seas 7-10 you will see why the 31 Bertram was the right boat to get.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

I have done all that UV outlines as necessary and couldn't agree with Brewster more. I am 6'6 and can't stand upright in the 31 or any other boat that size. If you need more headroom you gotta go to a larger boat.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Yep, one of my favorite things about the B31--its designed for short guys like me. Everything--FB size, v-berth size, freeboard, cabin headroom-you name it, works great for us short guys.

John F.
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

John

I saw your post over on THT thanks for the info. I think the headroom issue will really bother me. I am still looking at bot the 31 and the BF. I will keep you guys posted as to which way I go. Now I just have to sell the Contender.

Thanks again

Jon
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I don't know. I'm 6'0", 210 pounds, raised 3 kids on a Sportsfisherman. Wife and me in the V berth with a filler, Dinette down with cushions, between engines filler with matching cushion with engine cover cushions, and rear canvas that rolls up during the day. Ideal, no. But in a very short time it'll be a smaller crew and before you know it, it's you and your wife. The same thing will happen if you've got a bigger boat...with the bigger bills that go with it. My experience for whatever it's worth. Walter
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I guess I never realized in the 32 years we have had the boat how many short friends and relatives I have. Tony Meola