DIY re Chroming--Bow Chock/Cowl Vents

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

DIY re Chroming--Bow Chock/Cowl Vents

Post by jackryan »

I just saw an old thread that I started a few years ago about cowl vents--it made me think about the possibility of DIY re chroming. Has anyone tried this system to re chrome parts on their boat? I need to re chrome my bow chock and some cleats. Possibly the cowl vents. Any idea what the process would be to prep the parts to re chrome them? Would they need to be primed? The part that they re chrome in the video looks like it may have been prepped and primed with a black paint.

Here's a video that makes it look fairly easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9-wFTUhpT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBtdU10PIcE
Raybo Marine NY

Re: DIY re Chroming--Bow Chock/Cowl Vents

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

you notice he started with a speed shape. When you paint speed shapes they are a real smooth fine plastic so when paint is applied it almost looks like you poured it out of the can. very smooth and deep looking

I did a black chrome years and years ago, it was a paint process you sprayed not a spray bottle

the single most important step for success was you needed a perfectly smooth black surface, the smoother and slicker the better otherwise it would just come out like gray looking
We also did some experimenting with powdercoat and the issue was the same- because the PC didnt leave a perfectly smooth finish any attempts to make a black chrome/candy effect were useless

so if you plan on doing your bow chock you will need to blast it lightly, high build primer it likely more than once, spray it black and have that paint come out like liquid acrylic, then you can do their chrome process

and after all that dont dare run your bow line through it or you will quickly erase all that work
Carl

Re: DIY re Chroming--Bow Chock/Cowl Vents

Post by Carl »

It's paint, not chrome.
Your painting, not chroming.

Chrome is very hard and durable, paint is paint.
In the video the guy scratches the helmet easily with a screwdriver.

The prep was also made to look easy...somehow I believe the base finish dictates the end result.

Whatever...it does look great.