Installing a Lower Helm

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

trace elements

Installing a Lower Helm

Post by trace elements »

Who has a lower helm?

I am thinking of installing a lower helm this winter and had a few questions. Who has the lower helm and do you find it useful? I am going to remove the galley sink and install it there. I just installed a heater off the engines so I am hoping to extend my season a little bit. Any thoughts?
pschauss

Re: Installing a Lower Helm

Post by pschauss »

I never use my lower helm. Visibility is seriously limited compared to the flying bridge.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Why not just run heat up to your enclosure? I believe that is what Mike did.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

Tony Meola wrote: Oct 14th, '21, 20:36 Why not just run heat up to your enclosure? I believe that is what Mike did.
Tony, I think I am going to run heat to the flybridge, however, I only have a three-sided enclosure so there is only so much you can do. We also do a lot of cruising especially in the fall and spring so the thought is having a lower helm would essentially provide us a pilothouse and an extended season.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

As one who ran a whole bunch of 31 configurations, the lower helm is handy if you travel in inclement weather at slow speeds.

Given the 31 bow proud ride at speed,, its very hard to see. It probably would be cheaper if you already have 3 sides bridge helm covered and your running heat, to get the 4th side done.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That is one time that the trim tabs really help on a B31. You can lower the bow and see over it from the lower station. i am assuming you have the head in the after starboard corner with the gally sink where the lower station went?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

I have a lower helm and am planning on removing it. In 25 years I've used it twice-and been very happy to have it both times (lightning Ince & torrential downpour once). The rest of the time I bang my head on it climbing up from the forward cabin. The plan is to remove the helm installation along with the extra hydraulic lines and replace it with an autopilot remote. As others have mentioned, visibility is terrible from below unless moving at idle. I would never run from below when up on a step.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Pete252

Post by Pete252 »

I don't have a lower helm, but I do have a set of gear controls on the port side of the cockpit. There is no helm or throttle set, just F-N-R for port and starboard. Super handy for docking, two people fishing if there need to be both of us in the cockpit. Fairly simple arrangement that was on the boat when I got it. I have seen some hidden sets that "pop up" when docking, but mine are fixed.
1978 31 Sportfish
Secret Plan
Hull #1736
3208T's
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

I agree that visibility when on plane is very poor, but again, the lower helm will probably mostly be used when cruising at displacement speed in inclement weather or maybe late fall trolling. I am going to go for it as I feel the space now is wasted anyways.