Setting initial timing on a Delco EST ignition

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Setting initial timing on a Delco EST ignition

Post by pschauss »

I installed the distributor and coil and connected the wiring harness according to the instructions. (My unit came without instructions but I found a copy online.) I replaced my plug wires with the ones which came with the kit. The engine started right up and idled smoothly so it looks like I had alignment of the the distributor fairly close. When I plug in the timing shunt with the engine running and connect it to a +12 volt source the engine stalls immediately.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
scenarioL113

Re: Setting initial timing on a Delco EST ignition

Post by scenarioL113 »

1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

That's what I did. The engine stalls as soon as I apply 12 volts to the shunt.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You can still time without the shunt, just keeps the advance out.
Timing may jump without the shunt some, but you can take the lowest reading on your indicator to get base timing at idle.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

When the engine stalls.....

Do you think it is stalling because it is electrically stopping...like as if you are turning ignition off...like it has a short???

or

Do you think it is stalling because the timing is off and you need to time it properly???

What is you base timing at idle?

I am not very familiar with your particular system but knowing if it is stalling from a short or a timing issue is important to figure out the remedy.

try to put the timing light on the marker and then add 12volts and see if it jumps crazy for that split second before it stalls...
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/articl ... ine-timing

V6 and V8 Carbureted Models (Thunderbolt V Ignition)

1. Connect timing light (91-99379 or similar) to No. 1 spark plug wire. Connect power supply leads, if applicable, on light to 12 volt battery. Refer to Specifications – “Engine Rotation and Firing Order” for cylinder numbering and location.
2. Connect a shop tachometer to engine.
3. Using a jumper wire, connect the ignition system timing lead (PUR/WHT wire) to a good engine ground (-). This locks the ignition module into the “Base Timing Mode”.

NOTE: Before starting engine make sure the timing tab and marks on damper are clean. Chalk or white paint on timing marks may help visibility.

4. Start engine and run at normal idle speed. Allow engine to reach normal operating temperature.
5. Aim timing light at timing tab, located on the timing gear cover and crankshaft torsional damper.
6. If adjustment is required, adjust timing by loosening distributor clamp and rotating distributor body as required until timing mark on damper or pulley lines up with the mark on tab specified in “Specifications”. Tighten clamp and recheck location of timing mark.
7. Make sure that the distributor has been tightened. Remove the jumper wire from the timing terminal.
8. Remove jumper wire between the timing lead (PUR/WHT wire) and ground (-).

IMPORTANT: Be sure to disconnect the jumper wire from between the ignition system timing lead and ground (-) before attempting to resume normal operations. If the jumper wire is left in place, the ignition module will operate in the “Base Timing Mode”. This means that the additional timing advance features would not function.

9. Stop engine and remove timing light.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Just got off the phone with a guy from Michiganmotorz tech support. The Delco kit came with two cables which plug into the second port on the distributor, one for setting the initial timing and one for the shift interrupt function. I was using the one for the shift interrupt.

It will be some time next week before I get back to my boat but I will post an update after I have tried the other cable.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou