Introduction

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rick Jester

Introduction

Post by Rick Jester »

Hi, I am Rick Jester

I have been reading for years. Recently, registered because of the St Michaels MD rendezvous. I have a house in Manassas, VA close to DC, and a house near Chincoteague, VA.

A couple of years ago I purchased a 1966 25' Express Cruiser. It appeared to be on the hard for about 10-12 years. Doing a total refit, and making a few mistakes (but don't tell anyone, I don't think they will notice)

It was from New York and named the S.S. Minnow, I believe a name change will be coming soon. It feels like I am replacing everything. It is currently gutted, but I have purchased most of the items going in.

There are some hard decisions, such as replacing the bow chock. Danny at Hightide said it was not repairable so I decided to go with a windless.

I am thinking about going to the St Michaels MD rendezvous since it is so close, but I don't know anyone and would hate to be a third wheel. Plus, I will be boatless.

I will try to participate when I can offer anything on value.
Rick Jester
1966 25 Express Cruiser
Hull 978
Rawleigh

Re: Introduction

Post by Rawleigh »

Rick, Welcome to the board. Please come!! You will be surprised how welcoming the group is! You will be among brothers and kindred spirits I assure you. A nicer more welcoming group you will not find. If I come, I too will be boatless, but it does not matter. You will regret it if you don't come, plus you will get all kinds of new ideas for your boat, and probably be able to look at some other 25's. Don't be shy about it. Just come up and introduce yourself! Rawleigh
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Welcome aboard, Rick! Rawleigh nailed it, you will fit right in so jump aboard the rendezvous. We were all strangers to begin with, but the Bertram brand weaves us together. I can assure you that you will be welcomed aboard every boat at the event. Although I will not be in attendance (too far from NC), I will look forward to seeing the pictures and hearing about it afterwards.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rawleigh, Tommy, I’m gonna cry...hahahahaha
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tommy wrote: Aug 13th, '21, 14:04 Welcome aboard, Rick! Rawleigh nailed it, you will fit right in so jump aboard the rendezvous. We were all strangers to begin with, but the Bertram brand weaves us together. I can assure you that you will be welcomed aboard every boat at the event. Although I will not be in attendance (too far from NC), I will look forward to seeing the pictures and hearing about it afterwards.
Tommy

Too far now that is funny. Lilco s coming from N.Y and Yannis is rigging a sail to his 28.

Rick

Make sure you go. You will meet a great group of people. Bring the family.

One day I have to join one of the southern get togethers.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Rick,

Welcome aboard. In 2011 I bought a barely running 31 FBC (I think it’s still in the barely running category). I had a 2 year old and my wife was pregnant at the time. I joined the board and attended the NE rendezvous the next year by car. By the end of the event folks were snuggling our baby and offering their cabin for naps. I remember feeling really awkward changing a diaper on Neil’s boat.

10 years later a lot has happened, good and bad life events, good and bad times with the boat. Others have said this before but buying a Bertram has created friendships and memories that go way beyond the boat.

The boat is nice but joining this group has changed my life and created life long friendships. Some folks I see or communicate with regularly, some not so often and very many I consider friends I’ve never met.

My nephew is in his early 20s, now has a 20 and 25 he’s working on, in my poor sisters yard. His best friend is restoring a 25. Im making a pretty big life decision in the next few days and I’ve called upon 4 or 5 of my Bertram brothers for advice.

As I said, welcome aboard.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
neil

Post by neil »

Rick we have been to a lot of rendvous,they a lot of fun with great people,we took or 25 moppie from nj to block island we now have a 31 but can’t make it this year we still have the 25 what a great boat
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rick-

Welcome aboard! Post some pics of your boats progress, we are always interested in boat pics.

As to joining in on the Rendezvous, a few years ago I made a few hour drive out to Greenpoint Long Island to meet the bunch. My intention was a quick hi and go home. So my family came, I met one person who then brought me around to meet the others. One person more friendly then the next, got to see many 31 s. Shortly after I was being told I needed to stay for dinner…an awesome Clam Bake.
Yes I felt awkward for about Z5 minutes…I’d recommend going.

Carl
Rick Jester

Post by Rick Jester »

Thank you, everyone. Ok, I am going.

Does anyone want to split a hotel room?

I will post some pictures and progress in another post.
Rick Jester
1966 25 Express Cruiser
Hull 978
neil

Post by neil »

The people you meet will be friends for life,just ask me how I know