Gelcoat wear

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wgiarratana

Gelcoat wear

Post by wgiarratana »

My transom Gelcoat is wearing with the dock lines crossing has anyone seen other than the usual chafing guards possibly a non abrasive cover for dock lines that would keep the Gelcoat from wearing? Thought about possibly not crossing the lines? Thanks for any input
Amberjack

Re: Gelcoat wear

Post by Amberjack »

All kinds of solutions. Make sure the dock lines are not tied down tight. If there's room for the boat to move a bit before coming up against the lines it will cut down significantly on the amount of chafe. Secondly, whatever cover you install on the lines leave it loose enough for the line to move inside it. Ideally the cover will find a comfort spot against your gelcoat and stay there while the line moves inside the cover eliminating chafe. Finally, more lines equals less chafe on any one line.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

All these products have to be clean from salt at all times, or, they become more abrasive than the rope itself!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I use clear 3M vinyl that is marketed for automotive applications. rock chip protection I guess. You can buy it in rolls.. Apply like any vinyl decal in areas where the lines rub the boat. Cheap, easy, and effective.

3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-48-inches
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
wgiarratana

Post by wgiarratana »

Thought about the 3m as well as finding maybe a tape that I could wrap the lines to cut down the abrasion ? Did find sheepskin wraps for dock lines has anyone tried them? Saw them on Chafe Pro website.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I use the foam insulation tubes sold for wrapping pipes as chafing gear. Cut to whatever length you need and put a ziptie at either end. It's softer than anything it touches and lasts about 3 months. Pricey, though--it costs about a dollar for a six foot piece.

Bye the way, NEVER use vinyl tubing for chafing gear. Along time ago, when my dad had his boat on a mooring, and old firehose was the usual chafing gear, we thought we had the perfect solution: we put a piece of vinyl tubing over the 3/4 nylon mooring lines where they went through the chocks, thinking that would never wear through. And we were right: a northeaster came along, the tubing jammed against the chocks, and the repeated stretching of the lines inside the tubing parted both lines--but there was no wear on the tubing, inside or out.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

CamB25 wrote: Aug 13th, '21, 08:57 I use clear 3M vinyl that is marketed for automotive applications. rock chip protection I guess. You can buy it in rolls.. Apply like any vinyl decal in areas where the lines rub the boat. Cheap, easy, and effective.

3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-48-inches
Cam

Make sure you don't leave the tape on too long. Body shop says no more than 3 years even then it is iffy. I had it on my wife's BMW. It started to show some crazng. Wound up having it removed and repainting the hood. It took off paint as it was being peeled off.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I agree. It's a bit of pain to remove without goo-gone. I'll probably re-fresh during Spring commissioning.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi