Marlin Luring - Bob Schneider lures

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mike Holmes

Marlin Luring - Bob Schneider lures

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Was in a discussion with Capt. Peter Tyson about marlin lures, specifically the Yaps and Magnums made by Bob Schneider. He said Bob sold the comapny in 1999, and he hasn't heard from him since. Would like to get in touch with him. The new "Bob Schneider" lures, in his opinion, are not as good in finish or in use. He also mentioned that Bob had a 31 Bertram he fished when he lived on Andros, and Peter said he ran a 31 from Miami to Cozumel once.

He also said that in the most recent Bertram/Hatteras shootout, his crew caught only one blue marlin - on a black original Schneider Yap.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mike,

You'll perhaps have a hard time tracking Bob down...

He sold the company to Scott Henley (part owner of Venture Boat Company), split up with his wife Peggy, and went off to some pie in the sky late mid life crisis adventure.

You might try contacting Scott, (Henley Enterprises in Stuart, FL 772-463-8032), and see if he has any clues as to Bob's whereabouts.

Not surprised about the quality of fit & finish of the lures, nobody could be as much of a perfectionist as Bob, at least where his lures were concerned...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Capt. Mike Holmes

Schneider Lures

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Pat, just got a reply from the "new" company's owner, named Karl Dyes. Said he has known Bob for 15 years, just bought the company last year from whoever bought it from Bob. He says he hasn't talked to Bob, but Bob is aware he bought the company, and he thinks he is doing well and still living in the area. Maybe Peter can find him.

Also said he sent some Yaps to Marlin magazine for an upcoming article about the best marlin lures of all time.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mike,

When you track him down, say "HI" to him for me...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Thums Up2

Post by Thums Up2 »

I knew Bob too. A great guy. I know after his daughter passed things got tough for him. Very hard thing to deal with....but one of the best lure makers ever. I believed he had family up here in Forked River, NJ. NOt, sure if he came this way or not.
Hal

Post by Hal »

Nice guy from my brief interaction and great lures. The recent ones have not been as good. There are quality issues with the resin and inserts and a good number of the off center and curved leader tube lures are not as they should be. Still, the simpler designs catch fish and the old lures are great!

I nearly cried last year when an old faithful was unceremoniously lost, but no sense crying over old plastic.

Anybody know what ever happened to Sadu Frehm? I heard that the previous recent owner of Schneider was reintroducing the little red light lures, but never seen them.
I like crawfish and beer!
Jumbie

Schneider lures

Post by Jumbie »

The quality of the lures was diffently obvious after Bob sold the business. Since Karl has bought the shop I have recieved over 200 lures from him, old stock and new poured.
You can tell Bob's work from the second owners work, but Karl has been turning out quality heads since last summer. He wants to try and get the reputation on Bob Schneider lures back as it was. Honest straight talking guy.
The red light venture is Sadu and Bart according to SCMO.
Need any info on replacements etc let me know.
Tight Lines
Dennis