Page 1 of 1
Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 11th, '21, 19:53
by Marshall Mahoney
OK guys -- time to pitch your wedding rings. Or focus on hazard recognition. I was tightening the cable on the negative battery post when my wedding ring (which was also in contact with the wrench) touched the positive terminal. POP! The ring instantly became red hot -- sizzling a circle around my finger and blistering the two adjacent fingers. Also melted a 1/4" hole in the ring. I was cussing so fast -- I think I actually was speaking French. I am always wary of the wrench position when working on batteries, but I did not see this one coming. Learn from me...

Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 11th, '21, 20:18
by Ironworker
I never wore a wedding ring. I wear no jewelry of any kind for exactly the same reason. I almost lost a finger due to a ring.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 11th, '21, 20:24
by Carl
Machinist here, no ring unless going out.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 11th, '21, 20:57
by mike ohlstein
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 11th, '21, 23:19
by Tony Meola
I used to take it off when rrvef I worked anything. Then I jambed my finger and it would not go over the knuckle so on it stayed then one day I finally got it off. Has not gone back on.
You got lucky that's all that happened.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 12th, '21, 06:27
by CamB25
Tony Meola wrote: ↑Apr 11th, '21, 23:19
I used to take it off when rrvef I worked anything. Then I jambed my finger and it would not go over the knuckle so on it stayed then one day I finally got it off. Has not gone back on.
You got lucky that's all that happened.
I have the same problem! Maybe one day it will slide off my finger.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 12th, '21, 06:46
by scenarioL113
In the Fire Dept we rarely wore any rings. The ring could get stuck on the windowsill/window channel as you jumped off the firetruck and rip your finger off.
Now Firetrucks have Air Conditioning so IDK what guys do now... We just didnt wear them.
Getting zapped is something I never thought of...Get well SOON!
Thank you for sharing
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 12th, '21, 06:50
by scenarioL113
Not sure if you have a nurse or Doctor in the family but I am sure that is a full thickness burn AND in a very bad spot.
If you have not seen a burn Doctor I highly recommend it!.
I am NOT a hypochondriac and dont go to the doctor for every little nick and scrape BUT with that said I spent 27 yrs in the Fire Dept and I know about burns and I have spent a few nights in the Burn Center @ Cornell...
Any burns that are near joints need to be allowed to heal PROPERLY
Please heed this advice
Sincerely
Frank Valerio
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 12th, '21, 09:56
by Yannis
Never married, so no ring.
Get well soon!
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 12th, '21, 12:58
by Rawleigh
Ouch Marshall!! I was just looking at silicone wedding rings today. I do a lot of work around the farm on weekends and I think about it alot. i don't want to be "degloved"!!
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 12th, '21, 15:07
by John F.
Looks nasty. Get well soon.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 13th, '21, 13:11
by Amberjack
Thanks for posting this Marshal--My safety mantra has always been "what can happen will" and to take appropriate precautions but I never imagined this could happen. I will take precautions going forward.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 14th, '21, 15:46
by Marshall Mahoney
Another thing to keep in mind -- getting injured ain't cheap...!
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 15th, '21, 05:52
by Carl
Marshall Mahoney wrote: ↑Apr 14th, '21, 15:46
Another thing to keep in mind -- getting injured ain't cheap...!
Nothing is cheap...except me.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 23rd, '26, 04:37
by Bubinov
I had a close call messing with old car batteries while wearing my gold wedding band. It didn’t get as bad as yours, but there was definitely a little spark, and it freaked me out enough to start leaving the ring off when I’m working on anything electrical or mechanical. Rings and manual work just don’t mix well. My dad’s ring actually deformed once when his finger swelled after an injury, so he sticks to a silicone band now if he’s doing repairs. Safety’s no joke with this stuff.
When I decided to upgrade my ring, I did a bit of research on safer metal options and learned a lot about different
natural diamonds and how rings are constructed. It’s something worth checking out if you want quality and safer settings for daily wear.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 23rd, '26, 09:18
by Robert lico
never worn my wedding band for 59 years working with energize 480 volt circuits .my wife of 59 years understood. she past Feb 14 this year .
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 23rd, '26, 09:40
by Carl
I am very sorry for your loss Bob.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 23rd, '26, 18:53
by DanielM
Bob,
My condolences on the loss of your wife. I know the last several years have been very rough for you both. My thoughts are with you my friend.
I had a friend jump down off of a ladder the last 1-2 feet and a burr on the ladder rung caught his ring as he jumped down. De-gloved his finger. It was years ago so he had to have it amputated. Rings were not allowed in the plant environment for the 40 years I worked there. Be careful when working with your hands.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 23rd, '26, 19:29
by neil
Bob,very sorry to hear about your wife,we were always thinking about her and how she loved her hydrangeas
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 27th, '26, 21:04
by Tony Meola
Bob
Condolences on your wife. I know it was a long tough battle. We will say a prayer for you.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 27th, '26, 21:06
by Tony Meola
I hung up my ring several times while working on the boat as well as other jobs around the house. I stopped wearing it mainly because my finger had swelled up and I couldn't get it off. Once it did come off, I never put it back on.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 28th, '26, 07:35
by pschauss
I had that problem with mine. There was a period of several years where it never came off. A friend who had worked at a hospital showed me a trick where you wrap dental floss around your finger next to the ring to compress the flesh.
After we got it off we replaced it with a larger size. My wife now wears my old one.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: Apr 28th, '26, 08:58
by Bubinov
That sounds like a painful lesson, and I am glad you did not lose the finger. I have seen guys in the shop get their rings caught on machinery or zip-tied to a battery terminal just like that, and it never ends well. It is a good reminder for all of us to leave the jewelry in the locker or on the dresser before we start poking around in the engine room or handling heavy tools. A few of my buddies have switched over to those silicone bands for daily wear while they are working on their boats to avoid these kinds of accidents. It is a much safer alternative when you are in the middle of a project, and you can save the
natural diamonds and gold for when you are actually out for dinner or off the clock. Hopefully, that burn heals up quickly and doesn't give you too much trouble with your grip.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: May 3rd, '26, 07:12
by Ironworker
No rings and no jewelry for me. I almost lost a finger 55 years ago. It was a painful lesson.
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: May 6th, '26, 05:24
by Charlie J
i worked 7200 volts hot distribution for 32 years
never a ring or necklace
hope it heals quickly
it doesnt take that may volts to do damage
and gold id a great conductor
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: May 7th, '26, 07:57
by mike ohlstein
The safest thing you can do is just not get married in the first place.
Free life lesson from a guy who never married.......
Re: Wedding Ring Safety
Posted: May 7th, '26, 13:34
by Yannis
Me neither, never married.