Faithfull's opinion on a non-Bertram wanted

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

Faithfull's opinion on a non-Bertram wanted

Post by Buju »

Hey guys, wanted to get some opinions on a boat a friend is considering. The boat is a Phoenix 27' Weekender. Not sure on the power, beleive he said older 6cyl. Perkins diesels... but, a repower is planned.
I don't know too much about the Phoenix, seems to be a decent hull design, I like the prop pockets. I have also "heard" good things about the build quality, but I've heard many things that aint necessarily true...
So, I'd love to hear it, the good, the bad, the ugly.
scot

Post by scot »

I have always heard they were well built good boats. At least that's the reputation for the original Phoenix. I suppose it depends on the year boat in question, how it was cared for, etc.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Hal

Post by Hal »

I killed many a tuna from one of those back when I was a kid. My job was usually to clean the bloody stench out of the bilges. Other than needing to keep the deck from draining blood into the bilge, I can't remember anything bad about the boat. Ours had gassers, but that was a long time ago.
I like crawfish and beer!
Buju

Post by Buju »

Scot,
The boat is a late 80's vintage... I don't really know the specifics on this particular boat, just looking for the overall impression of Phoenix quality, ride, layout, etc...

The boat looks to me like what would have happened if Tiara and Blackfin had jumped into bed together... which is not a bad thing. Not sure about the sweeping chine on them, strange. Looks dry though. The deadrise at the transom is... steep.
Here is a link to a similar boat. The one he's eyeballin' does not have the tower, does have a hardtop with rocket launchers, but otherwise, it's the same model of boat.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/8/88866008.htm

Hal,
Gotcha...cockpit scuppers should be rethought, maybe plumbed with a macerator? Or permanently sealed and new scupp's through the transom? But yeah, something like that indicates a cut corner to me... any other quirks???
Buju

Post by Buju »

As I looked at the boat in the link I posted, I see its got small transom scuppers. Maybe Phoenix rectified that shortcoming at some point in the 80's??
randall

Post by randall »

any of you port eades types catch the name of that boat?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I repowered a couple of larger Phoenix, 37 flybridge models and they were made well and seemed to ride well although I never had one in a rough sea, which really would be the only time I would sea trial a boat I was interested in buying without first hand knowlege of how it handled.

Jupiter I've been told copied the Phoenix design. I've never heard a bad thing about the brand.
Thums Up2

Post by Thums Up2 »

I have a phoenix weekender, It is know my charter boat in Costa Rica, We fished it up here in the Noreast for 16 years first. Great little boat. I always loved it but there are some small issues. First, like many boat of the era there is mica over wood in the cabin and galley. I would rip it all out and go with nida core or some things similar. Also, the side bolsters behind the eng. hatches, gotta go. Use something that won't rot. They are ply with fabric. The windshields become loss and leaky after about 15 yrs.. Capt. Pat might have a better solution to fix this. I would repower with Yanmars. we are looking at putting a pair in our chart boat next year. If you have anything else you want to ask drop me a line www.thums76@hotmail.com
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks guys...

Sounds like they're a decent boat worth further evaluation. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any major issues with the boats before he got in any deeper. Thanks again.
John C

Phoenix

Post by John C »

Phoenix was started by a group that left bertram. I owned a 1986 27 Phoenix and can tell you first hand it is a tough little boat. Finshed nicer than both bertrams I owned. Was a Jim Wyninn design from the seabird molds. Sold my to a friend and he also loves the boat. Full deep v with prop pockets.. only down side very wet ride not 31 wet but wet..
Hal

Post by Hal »

Lots of blood from a good tuna kill and those tiny scuppers weren't the problem. If I recall correctly, the deck hatches weren't plumbed overboard and they just let the blood and water from the recesses drain into the bilge.

My 35 is that way right now, but not as much leaks into the bilges and since we have an enormous kill box, there isn't much on the deck. Back in the day we'd have fish all over the boat and they'd bleed them on the deck to keep from attracting sharks. Hell, my dad and his buddies might have just been entertained making me clean the stinking rotten bilges after a day tuna fishin. Sounds like something those sobs would have joked about 25 years ago when I was too dumb to get it.
I like crawfish and beer!