The "Other Boat"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

The "Other Boat"

Post by Rocky »

Hi guys,
Here are some pics of our family boat "The Seaswirl" who's deck had gotten soft and questionable safety! It's been to the Farallones, and Salmon fishing up and down the coast, also Lake Trinity, Shasta, and Bucks Lake. It's a $2500 boat to anybody else, but we like it so here's the work I did over the summer:
An all carpet, non self bailing deck intended for light ocean and lake use, pushing through and spongy!

The process starting with Coosa26 bulkheads, and re-routing of fuel tank hoses around some "dead space" I found under deck I used for a new fish hold/ storage under:

Using "Marine Creations" prefabbed hatch, made flush with Coosa deck, glassed that in and made drain runs for gutter system, then started the glassing into boat process and starting of finish work:

Starting the Softsand process and where any hardware goes(seats, hinges,pedestal,engine box) will remain shiny:

My oldest testing the "Softsand" feel under her feet:

And all done! (Like a boat is ever all done!)
Carl

Re: The "Other Boat"

Post by Carl »

What a transformation Rocky!

Using a Seaswirl beats working on Bertram, glad to see your getting out on the water.
Covid has lots of people going in new directions...stay safe and make the best of it.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

Nice Work. Enjoy her.

By the way did your daughter find any of your mistakes? She sure is giving that work a good look over.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Great work!

Tony, I think she's standing there for us to see the cabin height.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Good looking work!!!

How many passes of the fairing compound did it take to do the deck and the inside of the hull?
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Nice. I like the Soft Sand. Very simple process and the texture is better than the Awlgrip stuff, in my opinion. The Awlgrip is a pain to clean. I used medium Soft Sand.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks guys,
Yes Carl, a real challenge lately to use these "special times" wisely. Now I don't have to worry about getting carpeted deck bloody when we catch Salmon! I definitely have to choose my "calm weather days" too, for it's not a Bertram!

Tony yeah, Nicole definitely gave me some "constructive criticism" and promptly told me "It's not done yet Dad."

Yannis, Thank You.Yes a bit cramped down there but at 22', there's no magical way I can make it bigger inside!

Matt, Thanks. I had bought a Flexi-sander spatula model that put down the fairing compound real nicely and filled in between the woven roving.
Then a 20" DA to shave down for shaping. But still took 6 passes and 7 days for those inside gunnel areas. Needless to say the shoulders where cooked after that process!

Thanks Cam. Yes I noticed the Softsand has "some give" to the feet but does not impair on nonskid capability. Haven't got dirty yet so I'll take your word for it it's easier to clean!
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Nice job! What are you using to to form the mold for the water trough around the hatches?

I've answered my question. I see you bought the Marine Creations hatches.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Wow...I could have made use of this tool: Flexi-sander spatula

That's the nuts!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nicole- - I have an oldest daughter with that name too.

Pick your days...I still do that now too. Yes the boat can take it, but I'm tired of getting beat up for fish I toss back. Although I was out on a few "sporty" days this bass season.
I understand removing carpet when fishing. My 1st inwater boat had carpet, lots of vinyl seats and a full cover. I bought to cruise around and have fun...after doing that for several month I caught the fishing bug again. Down side is one bit of fish juice, guts or blood in the boat and it had to be completely cleaned. Most fish were not a problem...but bluefish. Ugh! Bring one up, leave over the side and try to remove hook...the thing would projectile vomit all over. Back to the dock at night, scrubbed and scrubbed...always seemed to miss a piece.
End of year I was going to pull all carpet and upholsrty with the idea of turning into a fishing boat. Before I started I was given a lead on a boat with good hull and a brand new motor installled by a mechanic friend...so done right. Gent who had work done had some health issues. So bought that, sold the other. Good fishing boat, easy to clean...hose and scrub brush, out the scuppers it went.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thought I'd share my "chemical section" and that wasn't even all the material used for this Seaswirl. It's amazing how much expensive crap you have to buy just to do what I've done here!

And the result of all that kneeling and twisting on a hard surface:
Blown Out Knees!! Like a bonehead I figured I'd use kneepads AFTER I blew them up.I think it's age kicking in too though, you can't take as much abuse as you were pre 50yrs old!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hey Rocky

Don't let the EPA see that stuff, they will make you get a commercial permit.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Uh yeah Tony, especially California, they want their hands in everything! Money grabbing at it's finest.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Alexseal...what's your thoughts after using?
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I think between Awlgrip and Alexseal they are very close in comparison. The only advantage I noticed is of the new brush 5018 additive Alexseal has for brushing- if you look at the stepdown area that finish was all brushed. It turned out better than any brush job I've ever seen (except Gerts)
but there still is no substitute for spray. In which both brands do very,very well.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Gert is I a league of his own.

From pictures it looks great. I have mentioned before that I used Perfection paint with great results. It was most definitely the paint and not me. Downfall is that stuff isn't tuff enough for hull and not easily touched up.

But the results make me think I can do the hull. Makes me wonder.

Have a bud who says he'd spray the boat...great guy, but...

In the end, we have to work with what we have. Be it a 20, 30 40 ' or more....what's important is getting out on the water.
Last edited by Carl on Jan 15th, '21, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yeah Carl, the reason I brushed down there was just too much effort to "airtight" that little area to spray it. I'd do it again in a minute for small areas or a repair with that 5018 additive. The key is paper,paper thin coats and 3-4 of them.
And a clean dust free area or it's slow set time will introduce crap in paint you don't want.
When spraying, your mix will tack up so quick the garbage doesn't get a chance to set into the paint from a fairly aggressive evap reducer.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thought I'd give a size comparison here, (old picture)and what the Seaswirl looks like.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Really nice work. Congratulations
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

Nice boat. I am sure the inside looks great with all the work you have done.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks John, like I was saying not a Bertram but to us worth fix'n up.
Tony thanks, now it's waiting for season to get here to actually enjoy that thing. We can't wait!
Carl

Post by Carl »

If the hull and motor are good and seaworthy, it's worth fixing up and using. Looks like now the inside is above par so you can get out and use it.
Sharp looking boat, friend here has a Seaswirl and loves it.

Bertram's are great...but the important part to me is being able to get out on the water...so whatever makes that happen is the perfect choice.

...and a big plus of a smaller boat, aside from cost to run and upkeep is its easier to just jump in and go.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Carl wrote: Jan 24th, '21, 09:34
...and a big plus of a smaller boat, aside from cost to run and upkeep is its easier to just jump in and go.
Carl I find this to be very true, it's so easy to make a spontaneous run offshore and have a good time one afternoon.
These are older shots but it was an afternoon run for Salmon and, sure did put a smile on Nicole's face! (And mine).
And go figure, just so happened to hook him at "Rocky Point"! (Just shy of Stinson beach).

Carl

Post by Carl »

I guess your not landing a boat anyplace close to shore...

99.9% over the shore here is beach-able, sort of an uneasiness seeing land and knowing you can't land there. Then again shallow water doesn't mean your getting in close to beach.

Nice fish...I only get to see those in the stores.

A 22' is plenty of boat for a day like that.
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Nice job!! It looks amazing out there I know why you want to be on the water after seeing the pictures.
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Snipe wrote: Jan 25th, '21, 17:29 Nice job!! It looks amazing out there I know why you want to be on the water after seeing the pictures.

Yes, forgot to mention that part. Thanks for sharing
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks guys. Yes it is very enjoyable getting outside the Golden Gate. I want to stay out there forever but I know I have responsibilities to attend to!
( I'd run out of fuel, and crew would complain anyway).