Gelcoat color

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MikeD@Lightningshack

Gelcoat color

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

guys,

I am re-gelcoating the bridge on the lightningshack.

I tried to match the colors with tints. I thought i came very close but after a couple days the patches I tested, ended up curing and being much lighter then surrounding area.

I will try some more samples with patch booster, I used acetone to thin the first time. I wonder if that was part of the problem.

Because I am going to re-gelcoat the entire bridge, I think it would be a good idea to use a production color that I know I'll be able to get more of when I need to match.

I am going to go to some boat dealers and look for a boat that comes close to the original color of my boat. I will then buy gelcoat mixed especially for that model

Does anyone know of a production boat with similiar color to a 69 Bertram.

or any other suggestions on color matching, or where to buy gelcoat colors would be appreciated.

Right now I've found a web-site in FLA www.minicraft.com that seeems to have a good selection of production colors.

Thanks
Mike
Www.lightningshack.com
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Mike,

There is a company here in Florida you can reach at http://www.minicraft.com/index.htm.

They will send you some chips. Tell them what year and it will help narrow it down.

I matched my gel coat myselft just by mixing a little yellow and brown to white and dabbing a little un catalized spot on what I was trying to match and waiting until it flashed off. I got it so close you can only see a difference between the old coat and the new because it is shinier.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
MikeD@Lightningshack

color matching

Dick,

I matched my color very well un-catalyzed also. Took many hours... upwards of 10.

I sprayed my patches with an air brush, thinned with acetone. When it first went on, it looked really good for a day or two. Then it started to lighten up. Much whiter then surrounding area now.

not sure why that happened, but when I consider how long it took and the results... color matching seems to voodoo-ish for me.

I would much prefer to find something that can be purchased to match, even if it not exact, ultimately I will do the whole boat.

Thanks for the info,

I will call them tomorrow.

Mike
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Mike,

I have always heard that Awlgrip "Oyster White" is about as close to the old Bertram white as you can get.

Ian.
MikeD@Lightningshack

Guys,

Thanks,

Oyster White is as close as I'll ever get by color matching.

Infact, It almost seems to be exactly the color.

Minicraft says their Bertram Oyster white gelcoat is identical to the Awlgrip color.

5 gallon for $302

lots to do, and summer started early this year (weather wise), at least up here in the North East.

Thanks again,
Mike