Fish Box Macerator Plumbing Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Fish Box Macerator Plumbing Question

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

I have macerators for the new fish boxes on Shambala. I have a couple of questions regarding the plumbing and more specifically the exit point for the macerators.

1. What is the best practice: Macerator thru hull that exits waste under the waterline or 8" above the waterline?

2. Assuming I exit the waste under the waterline, is there any ABYC or survey issue with me creating a "Y" so I can use an existing below the waterline thru hull (e.g. my holding tank macerator and a fish box macerator using the same thru hull)?

3. If I use a "Y" for a below the waterline exit, can I put one seacock on the thru hull or do I need to add additional seacocks to each "Y" fitting?

Thanks in advance!

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Carl

Re: Fish Box Macerator Plumbing Question

Post by Carl »

I cannot answer much of your question...but I'd advise some sort of check valve if using a Y. You don't want your fish guts backing up into your head...and you really really do not want your toilet waste backing up into your fish boxes.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly most boats I have seen at boat shows have the outflow above the water line. Not high up but I would say 6 to 8 inches. I would think if the discharge is below the water line, it actually may not clear all the debris from the line. Plus if the line clogs up, you will need to pull the line off while the boat is in the water. Shut the sea cock off you are fine. But if it is clogged at the sea cock then you could have an issue.

So, if you have it exiting below the water line it should have it's own discharge point which would require a seacock.

I think I would have it exit above the water line.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Fish boxes are being plumbed to drain above the waterline.

I appreciate the feedback and recommendations.

Thanks,

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built