Fishing Trip

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Fishing Trip

Post by Harry Babb »

Well friends.......Me and my B31, DeNada, took my daughter, grandson, brothers and sisters in laws out into the Gulf of Mexico on Satruday.

We left our dock on Fish River in Marlow Alabama at 6:00 AM. After idling down the river and across Weeks bay I pushed the throttles forward and cruised across Mobile Bay and arrived at Fort Morgan at 7:45 AM.

We were going fishing come hell or high water. Keep in mind we were fishing on a Neap Tide and a strong East Wind. Not the best conditions in which to catch fish.

The winds had subsided somewhat on Friday night and were beginning to build again during the morning on Saturday. The weather guy was reporting 3/5's to 4/6's. I think he was right on target. We went out about 3 miles in order to avoid crossing Dixie Bar. The wave heights on the bar was probably 7/9's and really choppy.

After trolling for 3 miles and no hits at all we picked up and ran to one of my favorite inshore rigs. Drifting Cigar Minnows produced nothing. Trolling Cigar Minnows produced nothing. Deep trolling Cigar Minnows produced nothing. My niece tried chumming......Ha Ha.........with partically digested sausage and biscuts honey buns and apple juice and then finally we had a hit.

We were at drift and fighting a really nice size fish. This sucker hit the lightest rod on the boat. My Brother in Law was first on the rod. He turned the rod over to my 11 year old grandson after about 15 minutes. This is the first time that Alan ever fought anything larger than a 6 ounce bream. In 40 minutes we landed a nice shark. My estimate is that the shark weighed about 30/35 pounds. Alan, my grandson, has now been bit by the fishing bug. Makes me feel really proud.

Although the seas were pretty bumpy my 31, DeNada, smoothed them out enough to make one young mans day.

Tonight we feasted on Shark, potatoe salad and beans..........my 3 year old granddaughter and I finished up with BlueBell Ice Cream.

Its been a good weekend..............

Harry Babb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

good job.......hooking the kids on boats and fishing is more important than hooking fish........7,9s on the bar ?......anyone out surfing?
nic

Post by nic »

I went for a surf. Nowhere near though.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
randall

Post by randall »

nice shot on the avatar nic....where is that?
nic

Post by nic »

Well Randall, that's my local Dee Why Point. It's a fairly short right, with a regular barrell section.

You can paddle out or rock-off. Here is a link to a day when paddling was a better idea.

http://www.realsurf.com/dy_070301/skittled01.htm

Oh, Harry.....well done with the youngsters!

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"