How functional are our Bertram 31 scuppers?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

How functional are our Bertram 31 scuppers?

Post by Amberjack »

Tavis' thread "Under contract!" started me thinking about the transom scuppers on Amberjack. For the 25 years I've had the boat they've been just sitting there riding along 5" above the water and not doing much. Typical Bertram 31 scuppers. Since my cockpit replacement in '04 I've had gutters leading to the scuppers but at most there's a trickle from them when the boat gets washed, otherwise they are out of site, out of mind.

The boat has never had a wave over the transom and because it has working scupper flaps (is there a more nautical term?) never had any seawater intrusion through the scuppers.

Logically they're there to drain seawater that floods the cockpit but I don't think they're large enough for that. A wave coming into the cockpit would mostly wash forward, down into the companionway well between the engine boxes and then into the bilge, at least on my boat. Maybe 10-15% of it would drain back out through the scuppers but probably Amberjack would be motoring along spouting seawater from a couple different hull apertures at 25 gallons/minute. In bilge pumps we trust.

Has anyone had an experience where they needed the scuppers and they worked as intended or are we all like Carl where they let more water in than they drained out?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Re: How functional are our Bertram 31 scuppers?

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

We have had our boat since 1975 and have never taken one over the stern. Also have never had water come in the scuppers, even with extra fuel, couple of hundred pounds of ice and 4 guys going off shore.

When I repowered, the deck support at the transom was glassed and then we put a dam on the edges to direct water out the scuppers rather than drain into the bilge. We even took the bilge pump hose and where it comes through that support, we glassed in piece of PVC pipe so it rises several inches above the support. Ran the bilge hose through that pipe, so water will not even drain into the bilge from that point.

The only thing I have not done is put in the side deck gutter system, so it will drain off the sides of the deck if it gets under the side panels or through the rod holders.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

The newer 1972 boats, LOL calling a 48 year old boat newer...

The newer 1972 boats with decks up a few inches allowing scuppers to be up a few inches would make a huge difference in the amount of times the scuppers were underwater in seas, or had waves sidewash under the scupper flappers.

Yes on my older boat the low scuppers has been an issue at times. BUT Much on my problem now is self inflicted.
The back shelf that the deck sits on, I did not seal that shelf to deck joint. Shelf sits 3/4" lower then deck, so water coming in fills that back trough. Much of the water would normally drain back out the scuppers, but now leaks into the bilge.
I also did not seal the deck panel seam nor did I screw down the deck. SO much of the water that comes in overflowing the back trough will flow onto the deck, leaking into the bilge.

Again, I expected to be pulling boat to fix something after my conversion. So deck was just laid down. I also knew I had to go in to tighten up clamps, most likly modify exhaust so I didn't break out the silicone to seal anything. Deck is coming back up.

Still, some days the low scuppers act like water pumps.

A reminder to the person who said they'd be pumping out 25 gallons a minute...I'm assuming your talking about a 1500gph pump...remember that 1500gph is what the pump will pump without a head, without a hose...and if your hose is corrogated its even less efficient. A pair of scuppers should let alot of water out pretty quick if your running.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I glassed my deck in and sealed the back shelf with fiberglass all the way across the transom. I canned the factory rubber flaps which were too stiff and trapped debris. I enlarged the scupper and added some plastic scupper flaps which have worked great so far. I am more concerned about rainwater during a hurricane and leaf debris plugging the scuppers.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/large-re ... EIQAvD_BwE
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

In my 28, I glassed the original scuppers in the transom and made new slightly larger scuppers through the sides. I think this way water "should" still keep draining while backing down on a fish. I also made the gutter drain system for all the floor hatches so they drain directly overboard through the exhaust exits. Technically the bilge should be dry most of the time.
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Jorge, can you provide some details on your gutter drain system? The deck hatches draining into the bilge have annoyed me the entire time I've owned the boat.
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Tooeez wrote: Nov 20th, '20, 18:05 Jorge, can you provide some details on your gutter drain system? The deck hatches draining into the bilge have annoyed me the entire time I've owned the boat.
Sorry for the delay Toeez. I made my hatch gutters using capt. Pat's tips (Mcmaster frp). Basically I used 1/2" pvc tubing to connect the gutters all together below deck and that will be T'd in to my main drain pipe that runs through the starboard side and drains out of the exhaust outlet. I will check if I have pictures and will post if found.
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tony Meola wrote: Nov 19th, '20, 21:20 Doug

We have had our boat since 1975 and have never taken one over the stern. Also have never had water come in the scuppers, even with extra fuel, couple of hundred pounds of ice and 4 guys going off shore.

When I repowered, the deck support at the transom was glassed and then we put a dam on the edges to direct water out the scuppers rather than drain into the bilge. We even took the bilge pump hose and where it comes through that support, we glassed in piece of PVC pipe so it rises several inches above the support. Ran the bilge hose through that pipe, so water will not even drain into the bilge from that point.

The only thing I have not done is put in the side deck gutter system, so it will drain off the sides of the deck if it gets under the side panels or through the rod holders.
Tony,

Can you please post some pics of your cockpit. I'm getting to do the same thing to the Carolina Reaper.

Thanks
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

Wish you asked me two weeks ago. The boat is covered for the winter. and in order to get a picture of the dam area I need to remove the back panel. Which I plan on doing in the spring since I want to make new panels.

Sorry about that.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

JH_B28 wrote: Nov 25th, '20, 08:24 Sorry for the delay Toeez. I made my hatch gutters using capt. Pat's tips (Mcmaster frp). Basically I used 1/2" pvc tubing to connect the gutters all together below deck and that will be T'd in to my main drain pipe that runs through the starboard side and drains out of the exhaust outlet. I will check if I have pictures and will post if found.
Thanks. Do you have any problems with exhaust pressure backing up the drain pipes?
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Tooeez wrote: Nov 30th, '20, 17:44 Thanks. Do you have any problems with exhaust pressure backing up the drain pipes?
Not that I have noticed. We put a check valve on the main drain pipe that goes into the cabin (for the galley & head) which would be my only concern, so fumes don't reach the cabin.

Regards,
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tony Meola wrote: Nov 25th, '20, 23:18 Rick

Wish you asked me two weeks ago. The boat is covered for the winter. and in order to get a picture of the dam area I need to remove the back panel. Which I plan on doing in the spring since I want to make new panels.

Sorry about that.
No problem, I can wait. It must be terrible not to be able to use your boat year round!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ironworker wrote: Dec 16th, '20, 16:09 It must be terrible not to be able to use your boat year round!

It makes you appreciate the time you can use it more.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I would love to use it year round. But I do save money once she is out of the water. Sure we pay for winter storage, about half the cost of being in the water, and no fuel costs. As well as the cost of bait and other essentials.

The big plus of being able to use it year round is that I would not be typing this while it is snowing like a bandit out there. Predicting 12+ inches for us.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Ironworker wrote: Dec 16th, '20, 16:09 No problem, I can wait. It must be terrible not to be able to use your boat year round!
Short winter days are good for long winter projects Rick. Only 8hr 19min daylight today, I just finished pulling out the bundle of old wires run through the salon by a lazy electrician. Last week removed a 20' bundle of Hynautics tubing run through the same cut out by a sloppy previous owner. Next week I'll replace one of the Hynautic throttle slaves. And I don't worry about whether I'm missing the bite!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Amberjack wrote: Dec 18th, '20, 15:11 Short winter days are good for long winter projects Rick. Only 8hr 19min daylight today, I just finished pulling out the bundle of old wires run through the salon by a lazy electrician. Last week removed a 20' bundle of Hynautics tubing run through the same cut out by a sloppy previous owner. Next week I'll replace one of the Hynautic throttle slaves. And I don't worry about whether I'm missing the bite!
You are absolutely missing the bite! But if it will make you feel better I'm freezing my butt off in N. Palm Beach, FL. It was 70 F today and may get down to 60 F tonight. Brrrr!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue