Installing a galvanic isolator

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Installing a galvanic isolator

Post by pschauss »

I had to charge my batteries last week because the one which runs my forward bilge pump was going dead. This is my third season with the boat and the first time that I have tried the charger. The good news is that actually worked. When I tested the shore power circuit, I discovered that the shore power ground was not connected to the DC ground/bonding system. Also, there is no galvanic isolator in the circuit.

I bought a ProMariner ProSaveFS30 as its capacity matches that of my shore power cable. The instructions with the unit say to install it in a dry, well ventilated area as close as practical to the AC inlet. My AC inlet is about 6" aft of the port engine box. The wires from the inlet run along the port side of the boat to a pair of circuit breakers mounted on the panel under the aft dinette seat. One breaker is for the single electrical outlet which is next to the breaker. The other breaker feeds the on-board charger.

From an access point of view the easiest place to mount the isolator would be next to the circuit breakers. I assume that it meets the requirement of being close to the inlet since the wiring from the inlet goes directly to the breakers. Is that correct? Is there sufficient ventilation in that space? Putting it closer to the inlet means that it would either be in the engine compartment or just aft of it under the port gunnel and area which might be exposed to salt water.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Re: Installing a galvanic isolator

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

I put mine right under the dinette seat, where I have my circuit breakers. It is a good dry spot. I never measured it, but I would guess it might be between 6 to 8 foot of wire given routing of wires. There should be plenty of ventilation in that area.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I put mine under the panel...which would be under the seat, just behind the draw. Boat has a vent panel under the seat, I assume it was for a heater that utilized motors coolant to warm cabin. Like everything else when I got the boat it was removed with only the vent panel remaining. Long story to say the area is vented.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

I also put mine under the aft salon seat behind the drawer. This was in the middle of the rewire before anything was zip tied. The galvanic isolator is in the upper right corner of the picture. The AC panel is just to the left of it which made the wiring easy.

Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built