NOT how to run out an inlet

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

NOT how to run out an inlet

Post by SteveM »

I live nearby this inlet and just happened to be over there on the beach road as this unfolded.

Boynton Inlet is terrible on most any day. Saturday was a beautiful day, flat calm, flat as a pancake.
I suspect this guy didn't realize that Hurricane Teddy was pumping a big swell down to us for Sunday.
I heard he had 6 people on board, one of them a 4 year old. As well as a dog. A teenage girl went to the hospital, but all people were accounted for and survived.

How is there ALWAYS a drone in the sky to video everything?
https://youtu.be/SpSkWd_nRlo
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Re: NOT how to run out an inlet

Post by Tony Meola »

What ever possessed him to turn around to go back. Once you are committed in a situation like that, you stay committed. Turning was did him in.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Turning did him in, I understand that. But what does one do when they know they are not going to make it through the next one.

Obviously that decision should be made before committing to an inlet, but at some point things can go from doable to not gonna happen or just a rogue wave.

I do not run inlets often, but when I do I do my best to check and verify so not to have to deal with that "now what" decision. But the "what if" still haunts me...

Any advice for when it's worse than bad and getting worse fast
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Wow! THANK GOD for the IMMEDIATE assistance they got from fellow people!

I can remember about 20 yrs ago in Jones Inlet we were trying to get out for some bass fishing and it was borderline conditions Was in my friends 30 Chriscraft Tournament and could not get out and were committed half way thru. Conditions were worsening as this was unfolding. We held position for for what felt like an eternity facing ocean headwise. Waited and waited and waited for an opportunity to turn around and after much patience he HIT IT and WOT we came around and surfed down a big wave. I was scared for sure but he was and still is a great Captain. It worked out and he did not panic.
The best thing you can do after something like that is NEVER FORGET and RESPECT that Ocean bc she will spit you up and throw you out, "no shaking, no tenderizing....down you go!"

The best you can do is respect what you learn and hopefully you get a second chance...
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Carl wrote:Any advice for when it's worse than bad and getting worse fast
Be in a Bertram?
Possunt quia posse videntur
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Carl wrote:Turning did him in, I understand that. But what does one do when they know they are not going to make it through the next one.
Obviously that decision should be made before committing to an inlet, but at some point things can go from doable to not gonna happen or just a rogue wave.
I do not run inlets often, but when I do I do my best to check and verify so not to have to deal with that "now what" decision. But the "what if" still haunts me...
Any advice for when it's worse than bad and getting worse fast

1. Never turn unless you're 100% sure that you can outrun the coming wave. I've 'surfed' into snotty inlets on the BACK side of waves. Diesels required. Gas engines don't have the torque or wheel size to go uphill at 5 knots.
2. If you can't (or shouldn't) turn, let it roll over your bow rather than having it roll you over. If it picks you up and tosses you on your back, you were screwed anyway.
3. If you can, throw it in reverse and lessen the force coming at you. I've seen guys run horrible inlets in reverse with good results.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I agree with Mike's note. I'd love to see someone take an inlet in reverse! They'd be my new hero.
The guy in the video could have made the 3rd wave I believe, straight into it, even stuffing the bow would have been ok.
Some say he didn't want to run over the surfers and that's why he turned. I'm a surfer. 1. They shouldn't have been in the inlet. 2. They knew the boat was coming so they would've probably dodged it. 3. They shouldn't have been in the inlet.

Always wear a life jacket running an inlet.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Discussion of poor judgement wouldn't be complete without the photo of MOJO being hammered at Morro Bay in 1978. You can just see the bow poking through the backside of the wave and the CG surf boat off to the left watching the whole thing. Professional photo is by Scott Redd who heard the conversation on VHF and went out to the jetty to watch. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about the incident but my wife talked with Scott when purchasing the photo and this is what she was told:

The boat was chartered by George C Scott. He believe's it was a 70' Chris Craft Scott chartered for a tournament in Mexico and he was anxious to get going. The Coast Guard advised the bar was closed but Scott told the charter captain to go so they went. The wave broke out lot of the deckhouse glass but the engines being diesel continued to operate. At that point they were trapped outside and had to motor down the coast to find an open harbor. One injury, a broken arm.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

And for those that want to see how this all unfolded in NJ close to 90 years ago, here is an old movie form the day known as Black Friday at Manasquan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kZPgHWuuQg

Remember when it is bad, there is always another day to fish. After running Barnegat Inlet for 47 years, you realize it is just not worth it. Flood tide, then the wind shifts to the West on an outgoing tide, and big rollers coming in the inlet. Stay home. Been there, don't want to do it again.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thank's Mike, that is some new thoughts on what can be done.