...and the bosses verdict is in.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Post by Carl »

She likes it!

Friday at work Doreen asks when she can go for a ride. Well today is most likely not a good idea with the Tropical storm entertaining us...although I did go out for a short spin. Transom exposed to harbors quick little waves had water pouring in through scuppers...battery charger not hooked up yet. With help of a friend We spun the boat in a little bit of a lull between the gusts. Fun!!!
Boy I get off track ez...

So yesterday When she finished up she came down for a ride...I was just finishing up hooking up battery charger...then storm came in. ( is it me, or does it seem to be a pattern of storms since I put boat in??? Day I launched, tropical thing, last night). So after we got a nice rainbow and I took it as a good sign.

Cranked them up...she nodded. I expected them to be louder.

Untied and put into gear...wow, boat really moves when you put in gear.

On the way out at idle she said it's really smooth...and quieter then the other motors.

Cleared the harbor and put us on plane...I got its so smooth and motors don't seem to care, it's like they are not working like the other ones.

I bumped us up to cruising speed and she said this is a lot faster, right.

I gave her the wheel and I went around doing my checks, came back and we headed in...did a little cruise around the harbor figuring we could do a little howdy with some old friend...but the storm I guess chased everyone away.

Back to the dock, tied up...let motors idle a It before shutting.

She said she really liked them it was like another boat. Sooo then I asked about the fumes and she said what fumes.

Well that was a big hurdle for me, if she didn't like it would have been interesting as she is as involved with the boat as I am. In use anyway.
Yannis

Re: ...and the bosses verdict is in.

Post by Yannis »

Great story Carl, keep ‘em coming!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Excellent
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Thank goodness!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

So your saying, you made the right choice!
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

That's great!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

This forum is made up of truly a Bertram Family, and especially our First Mates!
Bravo!
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

When I converted, Arlene was concerned about the fumes also. 10 years later she has I never said I smell diesel fumes.

Keep the filter changes up to date, air filters clean and you should be good.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Huzzah!
A lucky man. Thank goodness luck counts too.
Regards,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Carl

Post by Carl »

Stephan wrote: A lucky man. Thank goodness luck counts too.

The phase that comes to mind is

"I'd rather be lucky than good"

As my luck tends to be questionable, I find hard work makes for better luck.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Carl,

I am completely thrilled for you!!! It sounds like the repower has become a resounding success!!! I know the feeling. And the boss is tuned in to all the good, fun and accurate things!!! Cant ask for better. Enjoy my friend! Now go burn some fuel!!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

We were burning the Midnight Oil last night.

I hit the boat on my way home...I'm trying to tackle "something" every day I can. Yesterday, it was just prepping the deck for a coat of Kiwi non-slip, that is if Worst Marine ever decides to ship it. Whatever the case I had some real good stains and globs of fiberglass resin in places (I wonder how that got there??) that were not going to scrub clean. I know that because I tried...I knew the resin wasn;t coming up...at least I hoped not. That would be real bad if the resin dissolved with some soft scrub and water...Yikes! So a palm sander over the deck and it just looks bad...no longer horrible. Its a step forward and with a coat of Kiwi it should be back to good.
Anyway...it was so nice I wanted to go out for a ride, but thought to ask the Admiral first, she too wanted to go. So it was home to shower, eat, then a ride back...

No destination...just to go for a ride on a nice night.

Dead flat, no breeze...idled out, ran a few minutes out to the ship channel in the last light of day. Brought them down to a high idle making a wide 180 headed back in slow. I love running at night when it's like that. So peaceful aside from two diesels chugging away under my feet...

It sure beats anything on TV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I have a gallon of kiwi if you wangt to ghivdd it a try. It is unopened, but I have had it sitting on a shelf for a few years.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony-- If it is white I'll buy it from you!

Worst Marine had the best ship date...of course just yesterday, a week after I was supposed to receive, I get an email saying they didn't forget me. BUT they are behind on shipments and will ship it as soon as possible AND soon as they ship they will promptly tell me when I should receive.

I'd prefer to know when they plan to ship...

For me and my customers ASAP usually means yesterday.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Carl, they are struggling for sure. I've been favoring Jamestown distributors big time followed by Amazon believe it or not. But even the latter can be spotty... I ordered some things to be delivered to CT, and no ship for over a week. I cancelled and reordered to send to MA and had them next day.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I get it, everyone is struggling and I'm sure online orders have gone through the roof.

I tried Jamestown and they have every color and size...provided you want a Gallon of Cream.

Fishery Supply carries it, but out of stock in white Quarts and Gallons

Amazon, of course, has it and promises delivery in a few days. I have come to hate Amazon.
My last few transactions were horrible and dealing with their "helpful associates" is a joke.

Yes I understand you needed it today and paid for that service, but we delivered it to the wrong party and we have to wait for...

Yes, I understand you cannot wait for tomorrow and would like to reorder now so you'll have for tomorrow, but we need to resolve this first before we let you reorder. You'll have to wait till tomorrow to resolve and then we can place a reorder.

Oh, my manager...sure hold on.

Same Tune.

I had to get Doreen to order on her account and send to the house.

Worst Marine showed a couple of day delivery...so I went with it.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Worst Marine story. The store in Wilmington is out of stock of almost anything that is useful to me. They haven't seen a truck in a looong time. I went in there needing a VHF mount and they had one! I thought the price seemed a little high, but I bought it. Checked Amazon that night and found the same part for 40% less. OK, I'll swing buy Worst and they will price match. Nope! They will only price match if the item is shipped and sold by Amazon. I looked at the girl with the "not my first rodeo" expression on my face, and said OK, I'll just return it. She was more than happy to accept the return. Classic big box store fail. How is that place still in business!

I ended up buying the part, and some other stuff, from Hamilton Marine up there near you guys. That's a great marine store. I wish they were down south!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Carl

Post by Carl »

It felt odd the other day walking into the local marine store...

It was nice to find some things I didn't know I needed, would have been nicer to find what I needed but I guess you can't have everything.

Although that is not quite true...we have one store in our area, 1/2 hour ride, that literally seems to have everything. The downside is you pay a premium for that service. Place goes by the name Lockwood, I'm pretty sure Bob Lico has been there too and found what he needed and didn't expect to be walking out with. DID I mention pricey???
Carl

Post by Carl »

...wonder if I answered my own question. I'm going out that way to have canvas remade...I should stop in and see if they have the kiwi. It would be nice to get that done so I can finish installing my deck. While not a big deal as it doesn't move...but it's not sealed so water splashing in from scuppers is dripping into the bilge. On a day it blows thats alot of water. I keep turning boat around so the transom is in when windy, but facing out when the boss comes down so she has the view and breeze.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

It is white. I will pm you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mark

Post by Mark »

Carl wrote:...and the bosses verdict is in.

She likes it!...

Cranked them up...she nodded. I expected them to be louder.

Untied and put into gear...wow, boat really moves when you put in gear.

On the way out at idle she said it's really smooth...and quieter then the other motors.
...I got its so smooth and motors don't seem to care, it's like they are not working like the other ones...
I bumped us up to cruising speed and she said this is a lot faster, right....Sooo then I asked about the fumes and she said what fumes.
Well that was a big hurdle for me, if she didn't like it would have been interesting as she is as involved with the boat as I am. In use anyway.
Hmm....Is my wife your wife? Janice, my wife, had many similar responses although our situation was different as we didn’t reporter but it is first time owning diesel boat. She tends to get sea sick once in a while so wasn’t sure how the diesel fumes would affect her. She hardly noticed any fumes. Even the when we were drifting a tight spot in the river and I left motors running until I could verify drift direction.

The last time out, she said “you need to teach me how to run the boat and dock so I can run it if your busy or not around.” I told her I’m still learning. LOL.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Carl

Post by Carl »

That is great news Mark!

This about sums it up for me..

We are hanging on the dock with our best friends at the time and I get a report about giants being at the Mud Hole from dad. I ask Mark and Peter, they are in too. We make plans on time, who's bringing what and we are set. The other two wives start talking about going shopping, to the salon and grabbing lunch. Then they ask Doreen what time is good for her... Doreen just turned to them and said "I'm going fishing". Don't get me wrong she does all the other stuff too, but she is as active in boat use as I am.

The noise and fumes I had reservations about.

Doreen wanted me to teach her to dock a couple of times... We'd get to the point of lining up the stern to back in and she'd say. Nope, walking away saying I'll just tie it up on the end of the bulkhead if I take it out.