Engine synchronizer for DIESEL Engine

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

Engine synchronizer for DIESEL Engine

Post by scenarioL113 »

Does anyone have an engine synchronizer that they use with their Diesel engines? (IDK if gassers would be the same bc I use magnetic pickup only)

I have a twinscan tachometer that has a built in synchronizer but it is getting faded and beat up. I wanted to go with 2 separate 3-3/8" tachometers but would also want a synchronizer. Just wondering what others are doing.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Tony Meola

Re: Engine synchronizer for DIESEL Engine

Post by Tony Meola »

Frank

I had one when we had gassers. It became more of a pain than it was worth. Over time I have found it was easier to do it by ear. When in doubt on a long offshore run, let someone run the boat for a minute and go down into the cockpit. You will realize the difference right away.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mine is directly under the tach. works perfect for 15 years . brilliant people the Twin Scan people were ,a truly flawless design built into the TWIN tachometers ,seriously whats not to love. look at the post fuel flow monitor systems by bruce that is the the twin scan tachometer.BTW the tachometer checked with photo tach is accurate within 10 rpm.trust me this twin scan is the cats meow.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Faria makes an inexpensive one for gas. I don't know about diesels. Of course the old Glendenning automatic synchro's used to be the ticket on diesels.

https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/prod_dis ... ge=2_synch
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Thanks for the replies guys,

I was able to clean up the bezel on the twinscan with one of those "headlight restorer" kits and it came out real good. The needles are a little faded (I would like to hit thwm with some red nail polish if I could get the gauge apart...hmmm).

I agree with Bob Lico that the twinscan unit works great and has a built in synchronizer. They are pretty accurate too.

Before I did the diesel conversion I had the twinscan tach on the left and the twin "floscan" on the right. Now I have an empty space (3"-3/8 hole) :(

My plan was to install 2 new tachs and a simple sychronizer but I guess I am just gonna stick with what I have.

Any suggestions on what to install in the right side 3"3/8 hole on my instrument panel?

FV
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I think Faria makes one set up for pulses from a flywheel.