Yanmar 4LHA STP

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

David Davidson

Yanmar 4LHA STP

Post by David Davidson »

Gentlemen,
As you may (or may not) remember I did a ground up refit of my 31 a couple of years ago.
I fitted two new Yanmar 4LHA-STPs, manufacture date 2016. I fitted these as they are mechanical with no electronics to worry me.
However, I am now thinking of bringing her over to the US, and have been told that these engines don't have EPA certificates (and therefore can't be brought in to the US), as they were manufactured after a cut off date. Is this correct? and if so, is there anything I can do (other than buy new engines?)

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
Carl

Re: Yanmar 4LHA STP

Post by Carl »

I thought that was for new items. An old boat I'd assume comes with old boat restrictions.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

I wouldn't think it would be an issue-as Carl said, it's an old boat. I have those same engines in my 31 and love them.

JR
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Back when I was a yanmar dealer and the 4lh and 6lp engines went away due to emissions, we were not allowed to sell those engines in the US anymore.

I was allowed to buy engines, import them to use on foreign flagged vessels.

I'm not sure if you are going to keep your boat foreign flagged or register it in the us.

It's been 10 years since I was involved, but call either Mastry engine center in Fla (a yanmar owned company), or Mack Boring, two Yanmar distributors.

I bet on an old boat customs isn't going tell what year those engines are and pretty much ignore them. (Not legal advice)
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Thanks for the replies.

I got to the engine section on the paperwork for the import clearance, and as there was no EPA certificate to input it wouldn't let me go any further. It seems it was to do with the manufacture date of the engines, not the boat.

I'll get in touch with an agent who knows about these matters (the current one doesn't).

Thanks again.
David Davidson
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

I have been told via a Mastry Guy that if you wanted a pair of banned yanmars, all you needed to do was buy them in Bimini. Run your boat over and have the repower done there and then come home. I wonder if there's a difference between that and importing a boat that has them? I got a brand new 4lha-stp 4 months ago from Mastry without issue.

Sean
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

Sean,
I guess the difference there is that your boat is already US registered. If you don’t inform the EPA about your new (old style) engines, they will never know.
As a non-US registered boat I have to declare EVERYTHING about my boat before getting permission to enter. BIG fines for false declaration.
David Davidson
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

She’s currently on a transport heading down to the Mediterranean for Summer, polluting engines and all!!
David Davidson
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

Do not provide documentation of the date the engines were installed. The vessel manufacturing date should supersede the EPA requirements and be Grandfathered in...
Good luck!
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle