Home built title??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Geebert

Home built title??

Post by Geebert »

Hello all. Im in search of my first bertram 31. Ive been keeping an eye out in various places looking for the one i cant live without. Ive found what looks to be a decent deal and started doing some leg work on transport quotes, storage and such so i have an idea what the real total cost is to get her home. The sellers rep sent me what i assume is like a carfax except for boats. It names the manufacturer as "new New Jersey homemade boats" with registration back to 1988. The boat is listed as a 1969. I know hin numbers were not required until 1972, i guess i just expected it to be registered as a bertram, without a gap from 1969-1988. Is this to be expected? Or should i be suspicious of a boat that was totaled by insurance, then repaired and renamed "home built".? I figured someone on here could at least point me in the right direction as im in Florida and the boat is in new Jersey. Sorry for the wordy post, thanks in advance.
Todd
Tony Meola

Re: Home built title??

Post by Tony Meola »

Geebert

If the boat has not been built by a manufacturer, the State of NJ gives it a Home built title. Are you sure it is a 31. If it is, then it had to be super modified for the State to do that. Or who ever had the boat had no idea who built it and so it got titled Home built.

Where in NJ is it? We have a large NJ contingent do maybe someone knows the boat. If you give us the location and the boat name, maybe we can help you out.

Usually any boat pre 72, the State assigned a hull number to it if it did not have one. There probably is one some place on the boat, up in the V berth, or down low in the bilge area of the transom.

Let us know if we can help out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I would be suspicious that the boat was stolen in the 80's and registered that way to hide the original title, like a tag job on a car. Pre HIN it was pretty easy to do.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I wonder if it might be a default in the CarFAX software, seeing the boat may not have a hull number it reverts to "Homebuilt".

If you are not far, it may be worth a look and you can always research it after.

I've been cornered into registering a boat in a very unorthodox way because the person I bought the boat from kinda left before I had all the documents to register it.

Be concerned, but...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Post pictures here. Every possible angle.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

Geebert,
I just sent you a pm. I might be able to help.
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the delayed response. The boat is listed on boattrader, the listing agent is apparently popyachs because they are the ones who sent me the "boathistory.com" report which shows the title as home built. The name on the transom is "the Ark". Im in Florida, so i can't just swing by, and i was wondering if new Jersey is still on covid lock down, else i might plan a trip. Thanks again.
Todd
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That's a 31 all right. No idea why the home built on the title. Looks like all the decking, engine box's have been changed out. Live well in the transom has been added.

I am puzzled on the fuel tank. They came through with 170 gallon tanks, not 130. Broker error I assume.

NJ is just starting to come out of lock down. Not sure what hotels sre open yet.

Interior looks a little rough.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

I posted a reply earlier but i dont see it on the board?
Also, does any one know what the red asterisk means on my post?
Todd
Carl

Post by Carl »

More of a guess than an answer...

Red star (easier to spell than asterisk) shows you were active in the thread.

Red Star in blue circle means you were active and have read all the posts...AKA- nothing new.

Red Star in Red box, you were active in the thread and a new unread response was made.

Red circle, posts you have not read

Scrolling circle-- lots of activity, many responses
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Geebert, that's a nice looking B-31, and all the guys on this Board that run the Yanmar 4LH 230 HP engines love them. I know Mike Ohlstein has them in his 31; they have a reputation as being bullet-proof if properly maintained. regarding the "home-built" title, that would not bother me at; a classic B-31 it is. If you pursued the boat, a good surveyor would help identify any issues and answer questions, like the 130 gallon fuel tank rather than the factory 170 (listing broker error or a retro-fitted tank). I'll bet one of the NJ/NY guys would look it over for you. I've bought two boats sight-unseen from other states because guys on this Board served as my eyes and ears (a Whaler in Miami and a Bertram 20 in Baton Rouge, LA). With FaceTime you can actually do a walk-through and inspect the boat yourself if the broker is worth his salt. Assuming the engines have been well maintained, it looks like a good value.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Needs some TLC but if motors and hull are sound...it looks to be a good platform.

Homebuilt...I'd say somebody goofed.

The manufacturer numbers on mine are under the Port bunk laminated into the hull.
Handwritten on a piece of paper with a marker.
Layup date and production #
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is what happened: the boat was declare a total loss by the insurance company. the owner was paid in full then the insurance sold for salvage and either the owner purchase it or somebody else and off course no title just a bill of sale the new owner reregister under home built and thats the way it went down.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Carl wrote:More of a guess than an answer...

Red star (easier to spell than asterisk) shows you were active in the thread.

Red Star in blue circle means you were active and have read all the posts...AKA- nothing new.

Red Star in Red box, you were active in the thread and a new unread response was made.

Red circle, posts you have not read

Scrolling circle-- lots of activity, many responses

thank your for the explanation Carl.
I looked over the site before i asked, for fear of asking already answered questions, and could not find an explanation. where is such info found for site nubes?
Todd
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

bob lico wrote:this is what happened: the boat was declare a total loss by the insurance company. the owner was paid in full then the insurance sold for salvage and either the owner purchase it or somebody else and off course no title just a bill of sale the new owner reregister under home built and thats the way it went down.
thanks for the reply bob.

do you have inside info? or that's your assumption?

BTW, for years i've wanted to pick your brain about weight distribution, fuel econ, rough sea handling, etc.. of b31 hulls. PM if you'd prefer.
Todd
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Tommy wrote:Geebert, that's a nice looking B-31, and all the guys on this Board that run the Yanmar 4LH 230 HP engines love them. I know Mike Ohlstein has them in his 31; they have a reputation as being bullet-proof if properly maintained. regarding the "home-built" title, that would not bother me at; a classic B-31 it is. If you pursued the boat, a good surveyor would help identify any issues and answer questions, like the 130 gallon fuel tank rather than the factory 170 (listing broker error or a retro-fitted tank). I'll bet one of the NJ/NY guys would look it over for you. I've bought two boats sight-unseen from other states because guys on this Board served as my eyes and ears (a Whaler in Miami and a Bertram 20 in Baton Rouge, LA). With FaceTime you can actually do a walk-through and inspect the boat yourself if the broker is worth his salt. Assuming the engines have been well maintained, it looks like a good value.

Honestly, thats one of the reasons why i joined this board in the first place. I was searching for the prefect boat, in my search for a boat, I found a community. I blows my mind how helpful people can be to total strangers. I'm humbled and honored for all the replies I've received from this board. I cant wait to have my own b31, to be able to pass that on to someone else who is in my shoes.
thank you all!!
Todd
Geebert

Post by Geebert »

Tony Meola wrote:That's a 31 all right. No idea why the home built on the title. Looks like all the decking, engine box's have been changed out. Live well in the transom has been added.

I am puzzled on the fuel tank. They came through with 170 gallon tanks, not 130. Broker error I assume.

NJ is just starting to come out of lock down. Not sure what hotels sre open yet.

Interior looks a little rough.
agreed on your assessment.
I was looking for something useable "as is" with diesels
I dont mind having to spruce up an old boat, as long as its usable, while I take my sweet time updating, cleaning, and repairing, as time and money allow.
Todd
Carl

Post by Carl »

Geebert wrote: I was looking for something useable "as is" with diesels
I dont mind having to spruce up an old boat, as long as its usable, while I take my sweet time updating, cleaning, and repairing, as time and money allow.

Many ways to skin a cat but Useable "as is" I think is a very smart move if your anything like me. I want to get a boat in the water and use it...then tinker as I see fit. Not have major issue where boat cannot be used and I'm not then I'm not tinkering, but fixing so I can use it. I don't mind projects and upgrades, but scheduled to the off times...out of season. When fish are not running and it's not beach or cruise weather.

...and there are no stupid questions here. Ask away till your hearts content.

So if you've been here for so long...why'd you wait so long to post? It's a Bertram forum...that only means you have to have a place in your heart for one.

Welcome and join in when you can.

Carl
MikeD@Lightningshack

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

Fyi... I had a 1969 and she only had a NJ state title. She was USCG documented, and because it did not have a hull number, they used a "Master Builder Certificate" to get it registered with the USCG. Maybe it was called "Master Carpenter Certificate, can't recall exactly but, something like that.

If the boat was ever documented with the USCG you can ask the USCG for a Master certificate. It will have a hull serial number. On my 1969 it was laminated into the hull on the inside of the transom about 3" off the keel. It was a large label.mayne 4x6", probably just glassed in paper.

Hope this helps. Don't assume it was salvaged, before HIN's things were harder to trace, but they are traceable.

Mike