Mortality and Bertram 31's as a medical device

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

Mortality and Bertram 31's as a medical device

Post by Amberjack »

Sitting here today not far from the site of our country's first COVID-19 outbreak my thoughts turn to mortality (mine) and the hope that spring (still a rumor here) followed by summer boating season are not far off.

The virus has transmuted from the tragic Kirkland nursing home across the lake to a skilled care facility just a few blocks from us and also the nearby UW Medical Center where I had my PT appointment last week. Good work Doug, go to get your shoulder loosened up and die from coronavirus. My guess is its likely being spread by a healthcare supply vendor making the rounds delivering clean linen or other supplies blissfully unaware they are infected. Health authorities issue the advice to practice social distancing (Seattle already does that anyway) and for those over 60 to self isolate. I've owned Amberjack for 25 years so you can do the math on that.

The idea of spending the next however many months confined to my house has limited appeal because after the weeds are pulled and the lawn mowed and edged to perfection things are going to get boring. Fortunately I (and most of you) have an ideal quarantine device sitting at the dock not far away. Amberjack is back together with salon floor boards trimmed and fit, and new settee upholstery installed last Friday. I plan to load him up with two or three cases of wine, fishing gear (crab pots!), my girlfriend (AKA wife, deck boss), add a hundred or so gallons of newly inexpensive diesel and turn north at the Shilshole Bay entrance buoy. Perhaps the Canada border will still be open to us, especially since they know AJ is such a reliable Canadian fuel dock customer. If not there are snug harbors in the San Juan Islands accessible only by by boat and I know them.

So if I survive until June look for me to be anchored in one of those harbors sitting in the sun in the cockpit of my Bertram 31 reflecting on my happy condition and the good decision to buy a Bertram 31 all those years ago.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Rawleigh

Re: Mortality and Bertram 31's as a medical device

Post by Rawleigh »

Sounds like a great plan! Refueling is your greatest risk for infection. Wear disposable gloves and a N95 mask. Don't let them get too close and slather up in soap or sanitizer when you leave the fuel dock.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tail Chaser

Post by Tail Chaser »

Exactly... but only 2 or 3 cases of wine?
Fine dining such as fresh seafood deserves much better... ha ha
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tail Chaser, I was about to make the same comment.
A pallet, if split properly, can fit. Or even dedicate the water tank!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Tail Chaser wrote:Exactly... but only 2 or 3 cases of wine?
OK you guys. I'll come clean and admit that to having the phone number for the Ganges BC Liquor Store on my list of contacts. We phone ahead and have 2-3 cases of BC's finest on hold for us when we arrive. It can be a bit embarrassing wheeling their noisy shopping cart down the dock ramp with a full load of wine plus a case of beer or two.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

Stay safe and healthy. Yup the boat is the perfect quarantine place. Lets hope this blows over quickly. Trips to and from Europe are out starting Friday, hopefully we will contain this thing.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Sorry boys, its creeping closer. My wife is a competitive rower who practices with her club three mornings a week. This morning she received an alert that the shell house has been closed until further notice because a rower tested positive. Which means there were probably a dozen other rowers walking around infected but don't know it yet. Extend this to the grocery store, etc and we're really into it now. Still, I intend to have a few more seasons on Amberjack before I hang 'em up. How else are the BC fuel docks and liquor stores gonna survive?
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

The problem is if you are sick stay home. People just don't do it and I blame the Corporate world for some of that, because whole they tell you to stay home, the boss usually frowns on it. Look at the jerk who got on a Jet Blue flight to Florida knowing he tested positive. That guy should spend some time in jail just to learn a lesson.

Stay safe and don't take chances. See the doc and get tested, you now have reason too.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Hmmm, well this was initially posted as a light hearted philosophical comment about life and our boats but events have quickly overtaken us and life has become more serious. Its not humor about me and my vacation plans anymore but it's about all of us and coping with an unprecedented situation. I'm fine and will be pushing Amberjack north as usual this summer and it sounds as though no one on the board has been touched by this pandemic. Let's keep it that way. I'm going to jump off this topic and return to B31 related discussions. The next post on this topic from me will be an image of my bare feet resting on top of the cockpit cooler.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Mark

Post by Mark »

As I’m sitting in the cell phone lot at Newark Airport. I’m wondering if Doug’ s comment that no one on the board will remain true. My son is In the CDC line waiting to be screened. He is returning from Med school in Grenada because the school has basically forced everyone to leave at the schools expense. He has had a fever in the 102 range and cough for about 9 days along with respiratory issues. He told me that 1/2 the kids in each class all seemed to have the same symptoms. Fever, cough, etc. They have no testing down there and the medical system is marginal at best. Needed to get him home just in case. Either way he will get tested but I’d rather manage the quarantine. Have the back of the car completely sealed with plastic. Overkill maybe. By wife has immunity issues and I don’t need to be a conduit. Still will be a few days before we know.

Mark
1974 FBC - BERG1451M75A-315 “Old School” 1999 Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I'm locking this thread as it is straying from boating related in the main forum.

Feel free to open a CV thread under politics or non boat projects but let's keep the main forum related to boating topics only.

Thanks
Bruce